What were your thoughts on Lewis vs Holyfield 2?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Moggy94, Apr 8, 2021 at 12:33 AM.

1. Moggy94

Moggy94 Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2021
    I've seen some people say Holyfield deserved the win but I don't see it, I believe I had it 116-112 for Lewis but I feel it was a much more exciting fight than people remember it to be. Holyfield was past his prime but I think that's a testament to just how good Holyfield was that at 37 he was competing with a prime Lennox Lewis.

Also a side question, do you think Holyfield was an underrated power puncher? He was never on the level of guys like Tyson, Foreman, Shavers, Klitschko, Lewis or even Louis or Marciano but do you think he punched harder than guys like Ali and Larry Holmes? What about Frazier too? Holyfield did seem to have more two fisted power than Frazier.

2. 88Chris05

88Chris05 Active Member Full Member

Aug 20, 2013
    I've never really understood this idea that the verdict in the second fight was controversial, either. Seems to be a bit of a myth which keeps growing the more the years roll on. It's only in the last few years that I've heard a noticeable minority claim that Evander got a raw deal.

From memory I think I had 116-112 as well. Not too different from the score I had for the first fight, but as you say the difference was that the rematch was a much more competitive 116-112. In the first fight Lewis was cruising for the most part, and Holyfield never really got going. Whereas in the rematch Holyfield definitely caused Lewis trouble and gave him some shaky moments when he got right inside and pressured him at close quarters. There were moments where Lewis was having trouble containing Holyfield once he got past the jab and went to work with combinations in close.

But on the whole I'd say it was still a clear win for Lewis.

JohnThomas1, Reinhardt and Kamikaze like this.
  3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Be real• Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    It was telling to say the least- I expected more out of Lennox in both encounters.

4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I had Lewis winning a close one in another disappointing fight.

Some reporters questioned the decision at the time. It's not really revisionism at all. It was always slightly disputed.

slash, Smokin Bert and swagdelfadeel like this.
  5. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I watched it 3X. I scored twice for Holyfield and once a draw. Regardless of what you think, Holyfield did not get a fair score form the judges because of what happened the first time.

6. Webbiano

Webbiano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    I’ve scored it a draw and for Lennox by 1 round. Close fight, Holyfield made the correct adjustments and made it much more competitive. Lewis did well to regain momentum after a big round 7 from Holyfield and swept 8-11 to put a Holyfield win out of reach without a knockdown on my card

7. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    It was closer but it was still clearly Lewis’s fight. I’m a much bigger Holyfield fan but I can’t see more than five rounds for him. Think I scored it 116-112 last time.

8. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Holyfield did much better the second time around, but for me, it was still Lewis. I personally could never see it as close as a draw.
    As to the other question, Holyfield could punch. I don't think he was a heavy-handed fighter, but he had lovely timing, quick hands, and really committed to the punch when he wanted to. Also superb balance.
    I'd say he was a very sharp puncher, as opposed to a powerful puncher.

Oddone and Brixton Bomber like this.
  9. Fergy

Fergy Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Holyfield lost the second fight, simple as. He shoulda lost the first but that's an all different story.

10. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 8, 2014
    I had Lewis narrowly ahead 7-5. The fight could've been reasonably scored a draw as well.

Unforgiven likes this.
  11. steve1990

steve1990 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2012
    I thought Lewis won could have dominated the ageing Holyfield if he wanted too.

Reinhardt likes this.
  12. Moggy94

Moggy94 Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2021

Do you think Holyfield hit harder than Ali or Holmes?

13. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    No, I think they're all in the same ballpark, if pure hitting power is the question.
    I think he was a more authoritative puncher than either though, because he sat down on his punches more.
    Just my opinion though.

14. FuryisGOAT

FuryisGOAT New Member Full Member

Feb 26, 2020
    Holyfield won a close fight 7-5.

they had to give it lewis because of the robbery in the first fight.

I still say lewis and holyfield are 1-1. And holyfield was past prime and Lewis was prime.

slash likes this.
  15. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    I though that too, I remember when Emanuel Steward was cursing Lewis during the Tyson fight screaming at him that Tyson was ready to go what the hell are you waiting on. He let Tyson hang around for a 2 or 3 more rounds when if he had opened up on him he'd have been gone. I think at times Lewis just went into safety first mode

steve1990 likes this.