What's Ernie Terrell's best performance?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by William Walker, Jul 23, 2020.

1. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    I have watched all of Terrell's fights, and don't really think he has one that stands out, as he just didn't seem like someone who wanted to win big imo. But among his filmed wins, which was the best performance:

Cleveland Williams II
    Gerhard Zech
    Bob Foster
    Eddie Machen
    George Chuvalo
    Doug Jones

I'd have to say Foster or Chuvalo. In the Chuvalo fight his jab was as good as it ever got, and Terrell did not clinch near as much as any other fight. The Foster fight was good too, as he used all of his advantages to easily beat Foster without really doing a lot of work. Brilliant stuff. Actually though, I thought Terrell looked the hottest when he fought Thad Spencer. Jabbing, and moving, often going downstairs, slugging with Spencer savagely. I really think Terrell looked best when he lost to Thad Spencer. It's like that for some guys.

2. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Terrell is actually, imo, the best performance of Ali. The way he overcame the difference in reach to out jab Ernie was amazing.

But the reason Terrell didn't dominate is he had the wrong style for his physique.

3. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    I don't think Terrell's style is wrong for his size. Terrell was very skilled, and would sometimes show flashes of aggressiveness, power, and great speed. Terrell just clinched too much and did not utilize his tools enough. He used the jab and his superior size, reach, and weight, but rarely his underrated power and body punching skills.

4. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    I do think it was one of Ali's best performances. But I think Terrell threw the fight away by abandoning the jab and stalking Ali, trying something entirely different. Of course, we've already established we're generally not in agreement, except on what constitutes a trash fight.

lufcrazy and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  5. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Agree. He didn’t know how to use his height to the very best of his advantage and couldn’t punch either

lufcrazy likes this.
  6. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Terrell could punch, he just rarely displayed his punching power. If you don't believe me, watch the body blows he lays on Ali in round 10, and round 2 of his fight with Doug Jones if you can.

7. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think every fighter displays shades of power here and there. But I wouldn’t say it was one of Terrell’s key characteristics

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  8. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    I don't either. I just say he, like Ali, Holmes, and Jimmy Young, had underrated power. None of them were big hitters either, but their power has certainly been very underestimated.

mr. magoo likes this.
  9. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    He didn't fight big imo. Never quite mastered the jab and grab.

10. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Ali and Holmes were substantially harder punchers than Young.

William Walker likes this.
  11. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Terrell gave his height away by leaning over ,and he was never a puncher.

klompton2 and mr. magoo like this.
  12. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Sure. Young was still a great, underrated body puncher though.

13. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Young hit a bit harder than people might think,I saw him drop John L Gardner with a nice shot.

William Walker likes this.
  14. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    He dropped Lyle in the second fight, but it always gets dismissed as a slip. Nonsense.

15. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Plus he did floor Foreman, and he hurt Norton a few times in their fights. Foreman was exhausted, but it was still an achievement. Norton wasn't bulletproof, but he was tough. The fights with Lyle, Foreman, and Norton are all proof that Young possessed some punching power.