What's Ernie Terrell's best performance?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by William Walker, Jul 23, 2020.

1. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I would agree with this. I was looking at some of his fights in answer to this question and I was just looking at his rematch with Cleveland Williams. Ernie is 6'6" and Cleve is 6'2" and there are times when they are squared off that Cleve actually looks taller because Williams fought straight up and Ernie would crouch slightly. Anyways, that fight would be my choice for his best performance. Williams stopped him in their previous bout yet, Ernie actually fought him right in the pocket with jabs and combos. Of course there was the usual Ernie clutching, but it was ballsy to fight Williams that way and I had Ernie a close winner 46-45 in a damn good performance.

William Walker likes this.
  2. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Not to take away from your message, but Cleve was 6'3". Interesting pick. It was one of Terrell's better performances to be sure. A few times Terrell even opened up and mixed with the Big Cat.

scartissue likes this.
  3. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    William, are you absolutely sure on that? It's not a big deal, I'll take your word on it because I'm not at all sure. I just saw Boxrec had him at 6'2" and Dunphy said 6'2" as well during the instructions or early in the first round, so I said 6'2". But if you have a better source I'll go with you.

4. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Wikipedia used to have him listed at 6'3", now it is 6'2", I was a little surprised as I just checked. Actually, I was primarily going off of Williams vs. other guys. Look at Williams vs. Liston. Liston was 6'1", and in my experience, someone has to be 2 or more inches taller than their opponent for you to be able to tell, and Williams certainly looks taller than Liston. Call it iffy if you want. I would say he and Ali were the same height too (you know Ali was 6'3"), but Ali is on his toes all night while Cleve is completely flat-footed. Forget the height comparisons, there's not really a whole lot on 'em'.

scartissue likes this.
  5. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    But I often don't take Dunphy's "facts" that easy. He's proven unreliable on the heights more than a few times i believe.

6. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Probably the WBA title defense against Doug Jones in June 1966, he used his left often. I still would have liked to see him against Sonny Liston or Floyd Patterson around 1963.

7. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    This content is protected

I'd say this, a very catchy number.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  8. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    I do think that Terrell showed a flash of his power in the Jones fight (particularly rounds 2 & 10). Me too on Liston and Patterson.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  9. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    It sure was but it did not help him against Muhammad Ali on Feb 6 1967, his tune would not sound good with, What's My Name? in round 8, the lyrics are not there.