whats everyones favorite excersize to do?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Pivot_blow, May 22, 2008.

1. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    So basically you two agree. Glad I could be of assistance :D

2. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    As for Calzaghe, I think he is one of the weakest punching boxers I've ever seen. Weights could benefit him. Correct technique as well, he slaps and I hate that.

3. enquirer

enquirer Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 18, 2006
    If you watch early calzaghe he punched very hard and correct at times before his hand problems. Watch his knockdown of iron chinned eubank in the first round for evidence...
    Weights dont always increase punch power,and can lead to loss of speed,joes prime advantage.
    As for me and virus agreeing,well we do in some aspects,but i look at the downside of weights,while he ignores them.

4. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I spar in Kung Fu, 2 min rounds for 30-50 mins straight. Obviously it's not the same as boxing but it uses the same energy systems. I also recently started doing Crossfit which uses weights, bodyweight work, gymnastics, running, cycling, rowing, pretty much everything. Within 2 weeks I took 3 minutes off my 2 mile run time (down to 12 mins) and in my Kung Fu lessons I don't even start to get tired until the second hour.

I can guarantee anybodies conditioning would increase a huge amount doing that program. But you won't do it because they use the evil weights. :lol:

5. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Explain. Slowing down and losing mobility is down to incorrect training. The amount of times we've been through this is unbelievable.

6. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Crossfit sounds like what I've been doing unintentionally for a while.

7. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    For time:
    50 Sit-ups
    50 Double-unders
    50 Sit-ups
    Walking Lunge, 50 steps
    50 Sit-ups
    50 Burpees
    50 Sit-ups

Three rounds for time of:
    Run 800 meters
    50 Back Extensions
    50 Sit-ups

Seven rounds for time of:
    10 One legged squats, alternating
    12 Ring dips
    15 Pull-ups

For time:
    Run 800 meters
    Run 400 meters backwards
    Run 800 meters
    Run 400 meters backwards

Ten rounds for time of:
    12 Burpees
    12 Pull-ups

Five rounds for time of:
    135 pound Squat clean, 7 reps
    15 Handstand push-ups

Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
    15 Pull-ups
    30 Push-ups
    45 Squats

For time:
    1 Mile run
    100 Pullups
    200 Pushups
    300 Squats
    1 Mile run

10 rounds:
    15 Deadlifts (135lbs)
    15 Pushups

8. brown_bomber

brown_bomber BROWN BOMBER Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
  9. Pork Chop

Pork Chop Member Full Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Knocking noobs out in the gym does very little for me.
    I didn't put sparring just coz it's so hard to find good sparring partners.
    Real work against challenging opponents who aren't 3+ weight classes below me; of course.

10. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    I'm very glad I have a few good sparring partners in or close to my weight class. One guy in my weight class (light welter) and a southpaw at welter. Then there's a guy with reasonable technique at middleweight, but he's a bit pudgy around the waist line.

Knocking noobs out is no fun, but you can still use them to work on defense. I like their unpredictability, sometimes they do stuff I don't expect.

11. Pork Chop

Pork Chop Member Full Member

Jun 10, 2006
    I think that's what I get tired of.
    Coach takes me aside and says "work light with this guy he doesn't know anything".
    Coach repeats himself for the kid.
    I repeat him by saying "we're just gonna take it light & relaxed, I'll throw jabs and you counter".
    I start throwing slow motion jabs and the noob (without fail) starts to run me over.
    If I shell up they get even more courage to start teeing off.
    I'm not big on running away, being a big guy not a good chance I'll out run them.
    Usually end up being forced to fire back, for which i always end up taking a lot of flack from the coach.
    Couple times they've bloodied my nose or gone apesh!t enough to catch his attention so he's started cutting me some slack.

I don't dislike sparring hard coz I lose; it's because I tend to catch a lot of flack for doing what I need to do to protect myself.