Whats not to like about Cotto seriously?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Slicknick56, Aug 14, 2007.

1. jlrivera81

jlrivera81 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2007
    BigReg, I dont argue that floyd hasn't always fought a smart fight. It may be boring sometimes, but he does fight smart. I would simply argue that he has not yet cemented his legacy quite yet.

2. Fedor Em

Fedor Em Enforcement, VRWC style Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Cotto is world class, inside and outside of the ring. Shane is too for that matter.

3. dave82

dave82 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    I agree, both fighters are awesome athletes, highly skilled and always put on a show. Even though i'm rooting for Mosley, I believe the real winners will be boxing fans. I think it will be a great fight.

4. andyZOR

andyZOR Obsessed with Boxing banned

Feb 28, 2007
    I have nothing against him. Overall, hes a great boxer with good skills.

5. huki

huki huk huk ^_^;; Full Member

Nov 12, 2006
    There shouldn't be any reason not to like Cotto. He gives everything he has in every match, has an exciting fighting style, takes risks, shows tons of heart, is very dedicated to the sport, and is very likeable as a person. Every time I watch him fight or watch his interviews he reminds me of Povetkin. Their fighting styles are similar (quick swarmers with boxing skills who break their opponents down) and their personalities in/out of the ring are too (relaxed and quiet, don't run their mouth like idiots or overhype themselves). They're also the biggest boxing hopes of the future in their nations.

I love that Cotto-Mosley is happening because to me, it is the most exciting matchup this year and is the hardest huge fight to pick a winner in. But at the same time, Mosley is my favorite welter along with Cotto and I would hate to see one of them get derailed, especially Mosley. A war that ends in a draw and gives both of them shots against Floyd would be the best possible outcome. :D Damn.. how great would it be to see Cotto or Mosley beat Floyd's ass..

6. jlrivera81

Jun 11, 2007
    Slap yourself even harder this time. Urkal was a mandatory who had already taken step aside money. Malignalli and Maussa were at 140 lbs so why even bring them up. But they were both undefeated when Cotto fought them since you want to bring them up. Margarito was too busy trying to take a fight with floyd while Cotto was making a fight with Judah happen.

7. jlrivera81

Jun 11, 2007
    also, did you forget Margarito was going to fight Cotto, but had to fight Williams b/c he was a mandatory and Marg would have gotten stripped of his title. It's not Cotto's fault, marg got his ass handed to him and loss his chance to fight Cotto.

8. PR Boxing Lore

PR Boxing Lore Member Full Member

Aug 11, 2007
    He is real class,Mosley too I remember seeing that bowing to the judges and I said to my self, this kid can go all the way I don't know why I thought that but he has something very honorable about him,I'm glad this fight is being made and I hope Cotto wins too.

9. Caper

Caper How about a fair shake? banned Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Me too :smoke

10. YOUNG*LORD

YOUNG*LORD Carlosv1968 is your daddy Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Margo ****ed that fight up by losing to Williams...Cotto had already agreed to fight him...blame margo for the fight not happening, not Cotto.

11. YOUNG*LORD

YOUNG*LORD Carlosv1968 is your daddy Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I was there as well:deal

12. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    The only thing I didn't like about Cotto is how he seemed indifferent as to who he would fight and just said he'll fight whoever his promoter tells him to. I know lots of fighters say that, but Cotto's been a pro for a long time, since 2000, and despite fighting a good mix of solid opponents with different styles, hadn't stepped up to the elite, and it was overdue, especially for a well-promoted Top Rank fighter with an extensive amateur background.

But Cotto's fighting Mosley and was supposed to fight Margarito, so him not fighting the true elite of a division appears to be pretty much over.

Most fighters I'm indifferent about, very few I would say I'm really a fan of, but Cotto is among those that I actually would say I'm a fan of.

13. jecxbox

jecxbox St. Brett Full Member

Aug 5, 2007
    This is exactly why Mosley vs Cotto will be a VERY unbelievable fight becuse these two guys are real fighters who really fight. They are Boxing first and business later and thats what this sport is about.

And back to the topic of the thread..There is absolutely NO reason to hate on Cotto. Theres nothing to Dislike hes done nothing but help carry the sport of boxing at a time where it was truley needed. I mean Boxing was riding on a fine line as far as star players and up and comers. If you took Cotto out of boxing and assume nothing had ever happened. Things at 147 wouldn't seem so amazing. I mean you could say the same for every fighter but for Cotto its special in the sense that hes young, undefeated, and he is at his natural weight. Hatton is a 140lber so as far as him getting mixed up at 147lbs theres always the question marks.

Cotto is all class and the only type of person that would hate him is the type of person who is already comparing Cotto against some kind of 'all time great standard'. These are the fans that i wish would burn up and just die and gtfo of the sport of boxing. These are the people who hate on any particular fighter that might have something going for them because for some reason they are to psycho to see them for what they really are. Let the fighters fight who they wanna fight and when they retire then you can place them in their rightfull spot in boxing history..

14. Chiko_Tech

Chiko_Tech Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 6, 2006
    No he wants to fight him but margarito chose Williams and get beat up and now you think he deserve the fights, he was the only to blame because he didin't accept it in the first place.

15. T.S.

T.S. T.Stout Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Mayweather needs to step in the ring with a Heavyweight someday he be humble real quick :yep