What's so good about kettlebells?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Rakim, Mar 10, 2012.

1. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Explain how your body knows the difference between a dumbbell and a kettlebell.

2. Kill a B

Kill a B Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Come on guys.. Use common sense.

There's very little difference whether you do exercises like get-ups, swings and snatches with a dumbbell or kettlebell, but if you're in the store trying decide which type of weight training tool you want to buy and you are planning to do mostly functional multi-joint exercises, get the kettlebell (if you cannot buy the almighty barbell). On the other hand, if you already have a reasonably heavy dumbbell, there's not really any reason to get the KB. The only small difference that I've noticed is that doing exercises with the KB requires more wrist activation and slightly more balance because it's "awkwardly" shaped (I think that's kind of the point).

Kettlebell isn't the answer to everything but it's a good exercise tool just like the dumbbell. It's not something you absolutely need, but it's a nice piece of kit to do some multi-joint exercises with.

3. HENDO

HENDO Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 20, 2010
    After a month without weights...**** weights. You don't even need them. Bodyweight training is the way to go. You are loose, and faster than when you lift weights...

At least that's the way I see it...

And when I was lifting, I was doing the athletic type of ****, not bull**** isometrics, and still bodyweight is winning out.

Probably a lot of people will disagree with me, but that's my experience...so far...

4. lefty

lefty Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Did you stretch after you did weights?

And somehow I don't think you would've really known what you were doing with weights when you don't even know what the word Isometric means....

5. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Um. Yes you can....

There's very little if anything you can do with a kettlebell that you can't with a dumbbell.

6. HENDO

HENDO Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 20, 2010
    My weight routine revolved around cleans, squats, bench, deadlifts, lunges, etc...

It was an athletic routine. It wasn't a bodybuilding routine.

I'm tryin to tell you, when I stopped ****in with weights, I'm more fluid, like my hips...they are much more fluid.

And just every movement that I do is much better. Like dancing for instance...I can move probably 10x better than I did before.

And I'm not sayin I couldn't move before, but now, it's like I went from alright to a superstar ability.

I don't know how else to put it.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to put on a lot of size and be bigger than your body naturally wants to be, but at the same time wear down your joints to a certain extent, weightlifting is the way to go.

I mean, I don't see how you can play in the NFL without lifting weights.

But for boxers or just regular people, I think bodyweight training is the way to go.

Besides, I think it gets you even more cut up than weights.

7. Son of Gaul

Son of Gaul Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 16, 2010
    They may be a fad in the states but they've been successfully used in Russia and Cuba for some time now. Of course, everyone knows that Russian and Cuban amateur boxing programs have been on the decline lately so who cares right:roll::patsch?

8. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Building Muscle depends on what its for, Show or Go.

9. Flexb

Flexb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I mean in Canada/US. I don't know what goes on in other countries and didn't say that.

10. KERRIGAN

KERRIGAN Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Let me ask a silly question.

I can well understand the criticisms of KettleBells as being a marketing gimmick fad, but is the human condition such that many people might actually be inspired to get some where with them, even though it is quite possible to achieve the same or better through dumbbells?

11. Rakim

Rakim Captain ****wit Full Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Got my bench from Small's mate's website through. I'd highly recommend it.

12. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    I find with the stuff I incorporate with Kettlebells in the routines we do for fitness, are easier to use than Dumbbells. They are spot on.

13. achilles00775

achilles00775 Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    I hate to revive a year-old thread so, kettlebells are better than both sandbags, dumbbells and (presuming) medicine balls also?

14. achilles00775

achilles00775 Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Why is it that you wouldn't be able to grip such an amount for the sandbag in doing the deadlift?

I imagine the grip for a sandbag would be no different from that of a barbell with the same amount of weight loaded, right?:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2xom-ObOKY

15. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    This question makes no sense. You listed a bunch of tools you use for different jobs. Each has it's benefits for a specific lift. Saying one or the other is better overall would be wrong.