What's the hardest style to overcome overall?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Colonel Sanders, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Saintpat

Saintpat Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Guys like Pacquiao, Whitaker and Hagler are rare. So are guys like SRL, SRR and Roy Jones Jr. I don’t know that southpaws fizzle at any higher rate than orthodox fighters.

There’s absolutely not one style of boxer that inherently is more likely to be successful just based on style than any other. So that wasn’t what I was trying to address. But if I had to name a style that has an advantage more than other styles, I’ll go with southpaw.

(To repeat what I posted earlier, boxer-puncher isn’t a style — you cannot stylistically make yourself a big puncher; likewise, counter-puncher with a great chin isn’t a style, because having a great chin isn’t a style; if I get to say ‘super-fast, impossible-to-hit, murderous-punching, iron-chinned, iron-willed, superbly-conditioned’ is the style I think is the best, well those are attributes, not styles.)

BitPlayerVesti and cross_trainer like this.
  2. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Well no, of course you can't actually make yourself hit 2x harder than you did before even with peds.

Boxer puncher, from what I understand, is a traditional straight forward boxer who fights more aggressively on the front foot and throws more power punches. The name does not suggest that you can just decide to become a more powerful puncher. Someone like a Liston, Louis, Golovkin, Kovalev, etc. Their jabs aren't just range fighters they also try to hurt you and set up powerful combinations. They have good fundamentals and a wide variety of punches.

They combine traits of a slugger with a boxer and fight at a more measured pace rather than just swinging for the fences or being content to box their way to a decision. They have a balance between the two extremes.

Saintpat likes this.
  3. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    This!!!! From personal experience, it was always difficult to win a three round fight in the amateurs against a human windmill. Sometimes it just doesn't matter who is the more skilled guy. I saw plenty of great boxers lose fights to awkward volume punchers.

4. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Than we got the swarmers like Armstrong or Marciano that seems to never tired out. Forget the first 3 rounds, they are going to give you hell for the whole 12 or 15 rounds.

5. SwarmingSlugger

SwarmingSlugger New Member Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    I tend to agree here, add to it the swarmer has some good or even great defense like a Duran you're in deep ****.

6. Dempsey1238

Jul 10, 2005

Break down on Armstrong's style. I have always consider Henry the greatest swarmer that ever lived. Even over the likes of Marciano and Frazier. This guy was hell to fight.

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  7. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Yeah, my answer is a genuine boxer-puncher. The only caveat being that, as Sean O'Grady once said, most guys who call themselves boxer-punchers can't do either.

8. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    The boxer like a Sumbu Kalambay who can move on his feet and counter, or a Michael Nunn. Movement.. Speed.

9. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    A boxer counterpuncher would be difficult to fight, because every time you miss, your opponent tags you with his counters. He would have to possess an iron jaw.

Toney F*** U likes this.
  10. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Classic discussion : small vs big, old vs modern Full Member

Sep 13, 2012
    One punch in and out of the way. Rinse and repeat. Old Floyd basically. But I'd agree it's not really a style, more like a tendency. I hate that too. I think I'll remove it.

11. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Reminds me of this guy I sparred with years ago. Short guy but wide and thick, built like a David Tua with short but very strong arms. Very heavy handed with zero regard for whatever was being thrown his way and fully committed to getting close and unloading tons of clubbing shots.

First round all I could do was jab and cover up, didn't know what the hell happened. Felt like I was in a blender with various objects and someone turned it to the highest setting. Second round, I started to use lateral movement and tried countering him with straight right hands down the middle to give him something to think about. The pace slowed down a bit as he had to respect my power and reach, but he was still a pain in the ass to fight.

One time he smacked me with a perfect hook, and it was such a powerful punch my headgear spun around 180 degrees and all I saw was pitch black from the back of the headgear obstructing my vision. :lol: it was like something out of a cartoon. They had to stop it for a moment to turn the headgear back around and redo the straps.

Toney F*** U and AwardedSteak863 like this.
  12. Dempsey1238

Jul 10, 2005
    That is pretty funny.

13. HandsOfSt0ned

HandsOfSt0ned New Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2021
    For me is a swarmer pressure boxer like Fighting Harada/Henry Armstrong at his peak, that is an awful style to deal with.
    Even if you are quick on your feet they can cut the ring and catch up, they stick to you and always makes you work a lot.
    If you dont have the power to make them respect you they just walk all over you non stop.

Another choice could be the outboxer type like Kalambay but im not so sure, pure elite boxers are hard to beat too