What's the highest ATG ranking you'd find acceptable for Kazushi Sakuraba?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by horst, Feb 1, 2011.

1. horst

horst Guest

Opinions on Sakuraba's greatness seem to vary pretty wildly.

Please vote, and explain your answer :bbb

2. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Considering his ability, the style he managed to employ, the Gracies he beat (when their style was seen as pretty much unbeatable, at least very difficult to get a clean sweep) and the bigger guys he faced/beat, anywhere outside of the top ten is completely unacceptable IMO.

3. moreorless

moreorless Active Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Depends greatly on what your judging, his actual level at his peak or his level compaired to rest of the sport at the time.

4. Will Cooling

Will Cooling Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 2, 2010
    As an attraction he's an all time great - its likely that without him and his feud with the gracies Japanese MMA would never have gotten as hot as it did in the noughties.

5. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    It's always difficult placing pioneers from the dynamic formative days of a sport, especially when they outstay their era well past their prime.

At least with KS - unlike, say, John Sullivan - we have plenty of footage to look at of both him and contemporaries/opponents to place things in some sort of context.

Still difficult, given the rapid evolution of MMA during and since that time.

UnleashtheFURY likes this.
  6. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    He's too significant to the sport to rank him any less than 3rd All time in my eyes. Much of what we see in todays MMA is because of Sakuraba. He truly epitomises the word "Pioneer" in MMA.

7. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Despite an unorthodox (read: below average) stand-up game his grappling/sub game is still amongst the sickest ever seen. A prime Saku would not be overwhelmed by any of today's middles IMO.

8. zarman

zarman Guest

2-5 is the only sensible answer

9. FIN

FIN Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    top ten defo,maybe around 5 or 6..

10. jimmie

jimmie Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Around 8-10 for me. I think he is a bit overrated, a ATG for sure though.

11. Koa

Koa Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 24, 2004
    People say he's over-rated because he has taken some losses. One thing though, look at his size, and look at the guys he fought. He appeared to be smaller than Wand, who is considered small framed for something like a light heavy/middleweight

He had no caution, went in there to make an entertaining fight. I think he would have done better had he gone into fights actually strategizing to win. Standing up with Wand was pretty insane at the time, but he did it.

12. doomeddisciple

doomeddisciple Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Top ten somewhere.

At his peak, a crazy genius.

13. Bill Butcher

Bill Butcher Erik`El Terrible`Morales Full Member

Sep 3, 2007
    I rank him 2-5 personally.

Fedor is undisputed no1, only a blind ****** could argue otherwise... there are many great arguments for places 2-5 such as Wanderlei Silva, Kazushi Sakuraba, BJ Penn, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell etc... all have had amazing careers & are true legends of MMA.

My choice would have to be Sakuraba tho if forced to pick a no2, here was a great wrestler that developed very good punching & even better kicks, he was arguably the most effective submittion fighter ever in MMA, he had the heart of a lion (there is just zero quit in this man, none at all, a true fighter at heart, born for it), he was a natural MW (180-85 lbs) that fought & decisively beat men that these days would not be allowed in the same cage/ring as him due to being `too big`... guys that these days would be LHWs (205 lbs)

Also.... even tho Fedor is undisputed no1 due to his unbeaten run mainly, I feel a peak Sakuraba was a `better` p4p fighter but no-one is a `great` as Fedor including Saku.

You only have to look at his prime yrs record (resume) to know he could handle the best fighters of today as a lot of them are still top fighters TODAY.

Royce, Renzo, Ryan, Royler Gracie all clearly defeated (3 inside the distance as Ryan`s match was only scheduled for 10mins otherwise he`d have met the same fate no doubt, Sak played with him)

Vernon White (armbar)
    Carlos Newton (kneebar)
    Ken Shamrock (KO, punches)
    Vitor Belfort (Clear decision)
    Rampage Jackson (rear choke)
    Kevin Randlemann (armbar)
    Ebenezer Fontes Braga (armbar)
    ...... are just some of the names Sakuraba has defeated, others larger greats such as Lil Nog in his prime barely squeezed by a past prime Sak on points.

He also held his own vs HWs like Cro-cop (forced to stop due to retina damage even tho he didnt want to stop himself) & Igor Vovchanchin (Pulled out between rds shortly after going 90mins vs Royce Gracie on the same night & Sak was in control of Igor for the majority of that fight before exhaustion set in)

Nothing wrong with being blown away by peak Wanderlei, especially when in the rematch he gave Silva an even fight when he fought the right fight (grappled) before having to be pulled with a dislocated shoulder.

Sakuraba is to me easily a top 2-5 fighter & without question the greatest Japanese fighter in MMA history.

:good

14. Bill Butcher

Bill Butcher Erik`El Terrible`Morales Full Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Yep, this ^ too.

His ability to come out with moves never seen while in the heat of battle vs very good (& usually bigger) fighters is nothing short of outstanding.

Take a look at greatness........

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBtvfATml1s[/ame]

Legendary !!!!!

15. Flash Jab

Flash Jab Boxing Junkie banned

Jul 29, 2010
    I find MMA shouldn't be judged in ATG rankings, not for skill anyway, very few people from back in the day will measure up to an MMA fighter of today, but you still can't deny fighters like Sakuraba, Hughes or Gracie. MMA is too fast and evolving to pin down with ATG's that aren't recent, skillwise anyway.