Whats the most brutal knockout?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BoxingDialogue, May 11, 2019.

1. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Saad Muhammad vs lotte Mwale was devastating

2. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Any knockout where the guy is out before he hits the floor (see Julian Jackson highlight reel for obvious reference points). No ref should be bothering with counting in that situation. Call me a bleeding heart, liberal snowflake but I don't enjoy seeing that.

Obviously any knockout that ended in serious or fatal injury is worse - thinking Michael Watson against Chris Eubank or Gerald McClellan against Nigel Benn for the former and Johnny Owen against Lupe Pintor and Duk-Koo Kim against Ray Mancini for the latter - these are all ones that immediately spring to mind. Those are fights that only need to be seen a maximum of one time. It took me years to watch the Kim-Mancini fight and I've never been able to bring myself to watch the Owen fight (although I have viewed the knockout before). The Watson and McCellan fights I was watching live on TV.

Sometimes it's the ones that seemingly end with a wimper that can be most devastating. Think about McClellan against Benn - it was the accumulation of punishment that McClellan took and then he just dropped to one knee blinking. That image is horrific to me now as it indicates someone in serious physical distress and someone who would be forever changed physically by what happened. At the time when I was watching it live on TV I didn't understand what it meant - no-one did.

So in that context I'd rather it was one shot that puts a guy out than an accumulation of blows if the fighter can recover quicker. But the truth is there's no way of knowing what lasting damage is done until later.

Even if you love it, you have to acknowledge that it is a brutal sport. Maybe I'm getting too old to enjoy that sort of thing!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  3. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I think Pryor-Arguello 1 was more brutal. In the second fight, it was Arguello sitting on the canvas, fully alert but beaten and shaking his head. More sad than brutal.

4. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Fullmer-Paret
    Gatti-Gamache

5. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Yeah two of the more brutal fights I’ve seen.

I still feel sorry for Joey Gamache. He looked about 3 weight classes smaller then Gatti in the ring and he’s still suffering the lingering effects from that brutal KO. It shouldn’t have been allowed to occur to be honest.

Jel likes this.
  6. mrtony80

mrtony80 Likes thick chicks Full Member

Sep 2, 2009
    JMM's ko of Pac is underrated because it's Pac, but that really was a brutal, lights out knockout. Pacquiao was sleep. Martinez over Williams, Hearns over Duran, Donaire over Darchinyan...there are dozens.

7. Greb & Papke 707

Greb & Papke 707 Active Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Griffith vs Peret for the obvious result (rip Benny)
    Mercer vs Morrison
    Pac vs Hatton
    Martinez vs Williams 2
    Honorable mention Dan Henderson vs Michael Bisbing

8. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    I cannot see it either, he would knock both out! -And tyson's great win?? talk about someone not getting up, or getting off a stool!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  9. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    Mike Rossman TV rematch with Mike Nixon.

10. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Tyson and Louis would dismantle Frazier. Frazier was an ultra slow starter which would be murder vs Tyson or Louis who were both quick to end bouts once their opponent was hurt.

11. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Yes, it was absolutely brutal. Never saw anything close to it in terms of brutality