When did Sugar Ray Leonard become a legend?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Jay1990, Oct 6, 2018.

1. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    I know you're pissed off on how things went down and if you were there and had insight on things.. I can see your point as I wasn't there so I will defer to you … BUT to say that fight was a robbery is taking it too far.. that is an emotional comment as that fight was one of the closest title fights in history.. Hardly a robbery which is the wrong word, imo .. If you can look at things objectively, you will see Hagler blew that fight bigtime imo… And I'm not trying to take anything away from Ray but I think Hagler blew that fight more than Ray took it … I too agree that Hagler should have got the nod, don't feel Ray did enough to take his title .. But that is in only my opinion .. but not a robbery mate

PernellSweetPea likes this.
  2. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Marvin was shafted? He took the challenge and came out right handed because he thought he had an easy fight in front of him. Whose fault was that? And he was mad after when Ray had more than he thought and took everything Hagler had. It was a close fight, but Ray fought at the end of the rounds and got the momentum. Ray didn't shaft Marvin. Marvin should have taken him seriously. That was his fault. And with Donald? I still don't see how Ray really got to him. Donald trusted Ray and assumed he was retired. And he was not. Hearns would have told Donald. don't trust Ray. Fact is Hagler would not have fought Donald anyway.

3. expljose

expljose Active Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2013
    marvin hagler is 92-0 with 106 ko's according to him and his delusional nut job fans .. there's a small group of fighters that anytime they're brought up .. the bleeding heart excuse mobile comes screeching up out front ... haglers one of them .. always a bucket of excuses for why everyone was out to get ol marvin

4. expljose

Nov 6, 2013
    you're not giving honeyghan near enough credit for knocking the bejesus out of your hero

5. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Most of the ringside and experts had it for Leonard regardless. The "W" looks extremely good on his record and definitely better than a loss.

JC40 likes this.
  6. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    See you say in a nicer was than I did everyone knows Leonard is a snake in the grass POS. Don wanted him bad Leiobard didn't want to know he wasnt man enough

7. C.J.

Apr 14, 2009
    Not so much a hero more of a friend. Honeyghan got lucky Don had got the flu Dave wanted top pull him out but Muhammad insisted he fought

8. C.J.

Apr 14, 2009
    I just wish I;d been there that day that another friend from Texas Quincy Taylor sparred with Leonard & knocked his ass out. They said he didn't go down but was unconscious on his feet. Refused to spar Quincy again LOL

9. expljose

Nov 6, 2013
    right he was sick that's what did it .. now whose making excuses and being phony .. lmfao he was sick so and so got lucky .. ok .. then what about when mike knocked his head off that luck and the flu too?? .. keep living a lie

10. C.J.

Apr 14, 2009
    Were you at the fight ?? NO Was I at the fight YES

11. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Donald might have wanted him, but Ray was smart. In his second career the guys who were good he had already fought them like Hearns and Duran and beaten them, so a loss to those guys would not have been too bad since he beat them already. And Lalonde was handpicked. I don't think Ray would have fought Donald Curry no matter what. Hagler? I don't see Hagler sticking around to fight Donald, I think after Hearns he lost his motivation. He got the fame and recognition he wanted after Hearns, I don't think he wanted more like Ray did.

12. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    I agree. What I could see with Marvin coming in right handed he didn't really think Ray had much, so he thought he could mess around and try other things and Ray took the momentum. And Ray fighting at the end of each round. I felt sorry for Marvin after that fight but he didn't respect Ray as a challenge enough to really fight that fight to win the way he should have.

surfinghb and Jay1990 like this.
  13. C.J.

Apr 14, 2009
    Hagler was a fighting champion I admire
    Leonard is a two faced lying POS

14. Sparky 67

Sparky 67 New Member Full Member

Feb 13, 2018
    In my opinion Ray wanted what Marvin had, not necessarily the MW belt, but the status as being 'the man'. Hagler had possibly eclipsed Ray in terms of status by the time they fought.
    Ray couldn't stand that.
    He saw another legend in decline and took his chance.
    For what it's worth I think Ray won the fight, it took a long old time to accept that as a Hagler fan. Although I have to say Hagler lost it as much as Ray won it.

Titan1 likes this.
  15. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    after hearns. he was
    you dont know what youre talking about and spreading useless rumours after 30 years

in LA times ran a lengthy poll just the week before the fight and the reults were nearly split evenly

even I gave him a good chance after watching Hagler in sparring and observing his demeanor

Hearns and many celebrities were calling it for leonard

either you are more ignorant than the average man on the street

or, you have an agenda

either way, no one is going to believe that claim no matter how many times you repeat it