When did the WBO become a "major" world title? (VIDEO)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Rumsfeld, Nov 20, 2021.

1. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    The Police Gazette title went on after Sullivan. Kid McCoy won it in 1898 IIRC

cross_trainer likes this.
  2. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    I dream of having enough money to start a new organization, or buy out one of the existing ones, and hire honest people (FANS with a grasp of history) to help run it.

We’d have nine weight divisions (original eight plus cruiser), 15 round world title fights, honest ratings based on current merit (including other organizations champions), regional titles that made sense (continental > national > state or province), no exclusive agreements with promoters or networks (everything done on a fight by fight basis), consistent training and review of officials, a retirement / insurance fund for participants, stringent but logical safety requirements, no stripping of titles without SERIOUS consideration and voting, and a top-notch marketing strategy.

One can dream, right?

cross_trainer and choklab like this.
  3. JamesLightsOutToney

JamesLightsOutToney Respect to all boxers Full Member

Jul 4, 2019
    Beat me to it

Journeyman92 likes this.
  4. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    This is what is needed. Seems so simple.. but boxing never seems to attract incorruptible people. Allegiances emerge. These bodies are not created for the good of boxing.

cross_trainer and sweetsci like this.
  5. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    For the life of me I don’t know why anyone would take any governing body seriously.

we don’t need them.

6. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Wonder if you could incorporate it as a nonprofit.

7. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    You might be into something! Nonprofit would probably discourage the kinds of people making the wrong decisions.

8. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    Include really stringent steroid testing, which might get some people actually willing to donate to the cause. (On the other hand, it might discourage any champions from actually defending or fighting for your title...)

I wonder whether the IBHOF is also a nonprofit? You could probably get some added legitimacy if you somehow affiliate with them, IBRO, etc.

Also, all champions are required to punch a PSI meter.

choklab likes this.
  9. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    And photographic mug shot proof of height for tale of the tape rather than the lies that are printed as fact.

10. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    "Welcome to our registration room. Ahead you'll find our height measurement section, which we bought from the local police department's lineup room. After we take your measurements, it's off to the PSI recording section, where you'll see a machine that looks like that Russian gizmo from Rocky IV. That's followed by the full-sized replica of Shavers, which will punch you in the face. You'll be given a survey afterward about how hard it felt..."

11. Jpreisser

Jpreisser Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 29, 2015
    To my mind, the WBO became a bigger player when Arum got involved with them, namely around the mid-2000s when Cotto held the belt at 140. Even then it still felt like a second-rate trinket (it still does), given Cotto's reign wasn't that impressive. As has been noted, however, Michalczewski and Hamed assisted their reputation, in part because they became Lineal/Linear Champions by showing us that they had world level talent.

12. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Absolutely perfect!

13. Joe.Boxer

Joe.Boxer Chinchecker Full Member

Jan 8, 2011
    How can you NOT discuss Hamed?? Even Eubank deserves a mention.

14. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Probably when Morrison fought Foreman. I remember seeing the ads for the fight stressing that it was for the WBO Heavyweight Championship. The WBO jumped on the chance to advertise their belt because they had 2 popular and very marketable fighters fighting for their belt so they used that to advertise and give legitimacy to their organization.

15. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    @Rumsfeld would you consider Oscar De La Hoya a 6 division world champion since the title he won at 130 was the blasphemous WBO title that wasnt considered to be a Major world championship at the time in 1994?