When Liston sparred Joe Bugner

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Glass City Cobra, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    You reject it because you don’t want to believe it. Do you think the guy got rich off one quote on page 202 of a book about Ali? LOL.

Journeyman92 likes this.
  2. ThatOne

ThatOne Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2022
    What are we arguing about? It's the punches that miss that hurt the fighter throwing them. Poor Sonny and Floyd threw out their shoulder and back swinging at air.

JohnThomas1 and Pugguy like this.
  3. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Not to poof read you - but I think you meant rocket surgery or brain science.

Please take that as the constructive criticism it’s meant to be.

Anyway: -

Even the long since debunked claim of an extended rest period (between rounds 4 & 5 for Ali vs Cooper 1 STILL does the rounds.

And Cooper and Dundee themselves helped to promote the falsehood - Lol. At least for Cooper I think it was more a good yarn for the talk show/interview circuit. For Dundee, I think it was more to promote what a great cornerman he believed himself to be - and he often told stories to that effect.

Bokaj and JohnThomas1 like this.
  4. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Its the punches that miss that hurt you the most. It’s known as the Bruce Seldon Effect.

Glass City Cobra and JohnThomas1 like this.
  5. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah Pat you haven't got a horse in the race.

You just keep rejecting those 8 doctors and numerous others whose at the time findings contradict your own meticulous studies LOL

swagdelfadeel and surfinghb like this.
  6. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah we clear that one up on a routine basis Pug. It used to come up very frequently but we've beat it down enough times now for it to be a lot less frequent. As you say tho it still does the rounds.

I've read a lot of Dundee and just about everything he tells makes Dundee look pretty damn good!

Pugguy likes this.
  7. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    You keep repeating this it's simply not true. Liston had a known shoulder injury going into the Ali bout which nobody but Pat disputes. Punch stats actually show Liston landed more punches in that bout.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  8. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Lol.

Yeah, his worsening of the tear in the glove, his pushing Ali out for round 5, his “subliminal” messaging in the gym to sway Ali to try out new things, his tightening of the loose ropes and his shouting down of Foreman’s team when they tried to adjust the ropes themselves during the course of the actual fight…etc.

As Rooney was to Tyson, Angelo was to Muhammad Ali - as Angie painted it. Lol.

swagdelfadeel and JohnThomas1 like this.
  9. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Bwahahahaha!!! Angelo was the MAN, just ask him!!!!!!

Pugguy and swagdelfadeel like this.
  10. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Pretty rich coming from the guy who rejects a team of 8 doctors, an attorney general, and a boxing commision. :lol:

But a supposed conversation with a mystery man, written 34 years after the (supposed) fact is fair game.

You're a clown

JohnThomas1 and surfinghb like this.
  11. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Everyone repeats that as gospel but what do you know about the eight doctors and how they came to that conclusion?

Answer me this (I’ll ask again) or find one of those eight doctors and ask them: If he had a torn tendon, how was he ready to fight some months later without surgery? Or how did they do surgery in the 1960s without a scar? (Even now there would be some scarring, but it would be smaller.) Heck, just find me one account that says Sonny did have surgery.

You can’t because he didn’t. Did it magically heal itself?

But let’s put all that aside: Say he did sustain a shoulder injury — watch the sixth round and tell me what changed between that last bell and one minute later that all of a sudden he couldn’t lift his arm or throw a punch? Because he sure threw lefts in that round.

Just answer this: Do you believe he had a debilitating injury that he absolutely could not continue with or not?

Journeyman92 likes this.
  12. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Watch the sixth round and tell me he couldn’t throw his left hand.

Heck, tell me why he couldn’t have gone out in the seventh and thrown rights.

13. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005

Because his corner pulled him, apparently!!!! Maybe he should have thrown a few rights at them to appease Pat a half century later on a boxing forum.

14. ThatOne

ThatOne Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2022
    Does Floyd get an asterisk for his victory over Manny because Manny was fighting with a bad shoulder?

15. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Why don't you dig them all up or interrogate their living relatives?

Those 8 doctors as well as an attorney general and the boxing commission all agreed.....if that's not good enough for someone then there's really nothing more to add.

swagdelfadeel likes this.