Where did Rocky Marciano get his amazing power from? He wasn't ripped or huge like Anthony Joshua

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jan 14, 2021.

1. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
  2. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm assuming you joking but in case not Aj is on steroids and Foreman was indeed just a bigger stronger harder hitting man

3. BUDW

BUDW Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Thats why he got koed by the fat guy LOL

4. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Is that what I said. No I made no mention of that. Look at what I wrote. Your obsessed with a fighters level of muscularity. Especially AJ. It's weird Mark just plain weird.

5. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Come on, it’s pretty well known that Ruiz is much better and a lot more athletic than he looks. One of the best fighters at my old gym was a fat dude

6. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Like in my avatar. #BIGSTIFFIDIOT

7. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I can tell you now that fat guy in your gym was nowhere near Ruiz or AJ`s level.

8. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Only Fury isn't retired now.

9. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Thats not the point he was trying to make, athleticism can come in deceptively poor physiques such as in Andy’s case.

Note how most Olympic weightlifters in the highest weight divisions are more akin to truck drivers in body composition then typical strength athletes but are amongst the most powerful people on the planet.

10. Toney F*** U

Oct 16, 2019
    Yea I know, lmao. I’m just saying ruiz gets way too much hate for being fat

11. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Well he beat someone perceived as being the best fighter on the planet.
    (I don’t share this opinion)

Some at one stage before the loss to Ruiz argue that he would stop Marciano, Tyson and Foreman amongst others, now he is seen on the level of Bruno by a relatively large population... now that fight is also seen as the ultimate validation that size doesn’t matter.

12. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    There is no answer that can be given universally.

13. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Theres no answer why some guys have so much power. It has nothing at all to do with muscle mass. Look at Zarate he was skin over bones then theres Olivares who looked soft but both could knock u clean out. Then take guys like Mancini Curtis Parker and Hardrock Green to name a few. They could punch hard but weren't one punch bangers. Then take a guy like Antuofermo who was all muscle but couldnt break an egg as they say.
    Theres just no way to explain it

14. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I think having an understanding of how to use one's mechanical advantages to their best effect helps a LOT with punching power. Of course, one has to be born with such mechanical advantages.

I've worked with kids who got completely lost when I said to put their bodyweight behind their punches. Telling them to step in helped...I've seen even basically small kids become total punching monsters when they started practicing the step in.

Sometimes fighters just plain don't have the body that facilitates their power. Larry Holmes was a big man in the 80s physically and started really stepping into his right. But watch Foreman (prime) around the same weight and notice the huge difference. And it wasn't all muscle mass (though I think for some physiques that does make a difference).

15. Toney F*** U

Oct 16, 2019
    I think it’s the durability and size. Ruiz isn’t that small and he has a good chin. Also there’s no way Marciano could compete with today’s heavyweights

JBoog89, BlackCloud and swagdelfadeel like this.