Where did Rocky Marciano get his amazing power from? He wasn't ripped or huge like Anthony Joshua

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
    This content is protected

Punchers are born not made.

2. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Timing, technique, and practice. He also carried his power late as he was an extremely fit HW.

3. DanDaly

DanDaly Active Member Full Member

Apr 28, 2020
    I don't think it was that Marciano hit oh so much harder than any heavyweight. It was his supreme conditioning which allowed him to continuously punch with the same amount of force over and over for 15 rounds. Conditioning is such a huge factor. Anyone can throw a hard punch once or twice but not everyone can deliver at or near maximum force for an entire fight. It doesn't matter how skilled you are if you don't have the conditioning to perform.

4. Bigcheese

Bigcheese Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2015
    How do guys like Julian Jackson and Tom Hearns hit so hard? Muscle mass doesnt have much to do with power, although Marciano was a tank of a man

5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Being ripped or huge is no guarantee of being a puncher.

If it was then why has no strongman competitor ever got anywhere in combat sports?

6. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Just show how hysterical fans are nowadays. One loss and you're worthless, completely forgetting that Tyson and Foreman also have losses in their physical prime to non-ATG fighters. As has Wlad, Lewis, Louis etc, etc.

Joshua already has more quality wins than Bruno had, so it's a bit over the top to say that they're on the same level.

Would be interesting, though, to see what a reasonably lean Ruiz would weigh.

7. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    It’s just unsettling how rather then rally then return of a fallen champion we assume it’s exposure... Personally I think AJ is a good for the sport he isn’t lacking in anything other then charisma.

Glass City Cobra and Bokaj like this.
  8. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Personally I think blabbering on like an imbecille is mistaken for charisma too often, but I'm in any case mostly interested in what a fighter does inside the ring and I think AJ has generally looked to have the big fights happen and when it doesn't go according to plan you don't hear any excuses. He lost to Ruiz, didn't ***** and moan but picked himself up and won the rematch clearly, using a different style. Don't why he seems to annoy some people so much.

But now I'm a bit off the thread topic. Marciano was a strong, stocky built guy that put his whole body behind punches. Quite like Beterbiev today. They're probably fairly similar in terms of power.

Joshua doesn't have the snap to quite have Wilder like power, but he hits plenty hard. Wlad was a brutal puncher and when they faced off it was hard to see a difference in how hard they hit each other, so AJ no doubt packs a whallop.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  9. BUDW

BUDW Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 23, 2007
    ok

mark ant likes this.
  10. steve1990

steve1990 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Thunder could hit unfortunately he pretty much lacked everything else.

11. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah he was no great shakes.

12. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Rocky Marciano, it seems that he had only 14" biceps size, and I assume it was taken while unflexed. Hearns had a 15 inch bicep measurement for his fight at 168 v Kintchen.

13. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Between the power and muscle mass and quality is a strong correlation this is the reason why the sprinters' muscle
    is stronger than the long distance runners.
    Otherwise the power is just one factor in the boxing or the punching.

14. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Heavily muscled men especially in the arms cant get the natural snap in there punches. This isnt a sprinting contest.

15. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Mike Tyson's or Lewis' arms were very muscular and they were the mos devastating punchers in the boxing history. This isn't sprinting but this example proves the correlation between the power and the muscles.