where do you rate calzaghe among top british fighters?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by hotshot, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Never has one, made so many posts, seen by so many and liked by so few - says it all !!!!!

2. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    TBF you have a point. The dynamics of fan appreciation/reaction has changed massively since social media.

emallini likes this.
  3. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    You can't even take 1 stay busy or weak fight without getting slaughtered in this era.

305th likes this.
  4. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    In fairness, sometimes it's justified. Yarde for until the Kov announcement for example. But yeah. Remember back in the day people like Sven Ottke? In the twitter/IG/FB/YT era he'd be an absolute laughing stock.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Brixton Bomber and emallini like this.
  5. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Yet his profile and popularity would be through the roof after the Lacy and Kessler fights.

Emilly Annie clutching at straws while sitting on a butt plug fence down Canal Street

6. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Ottke was a laughing stock anyway tbh.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  7. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Among basement dwelling virgins

8. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I think that depends on who you've been fighting. Froch wasn't really slaughtered for fighting Mack for example, but that was largely on the basis that he'd fought Bute, Ward, Johnson, Abraham, Kessler, Dirrell and Taylor back to back.

How many weak fights did Calzaghe have after winning the world title and before Lacy? He had seventeen fights in total in a period of eight and a half years and I'd say at least half of those were really disappointing choices.

One thing I remember was after the Lacy fight and Joe was finally getting serious credit, and then it comes out that he's fighting Sakio Bika next. I remember that being really frustrating. I know Bika went on to have a decent enough career, but at the time he'd been a career middleweight fighting in nothing contests over in Australia. It was like another Evans Ashira.

9. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Who did those guys beat though?

Hopkins is a better win than both.

Joe gets no credit from me. He was a mental midget whose dad had to tell him to face Jeff or he is off. Even in Joe’s book he states that he is scared of flying and Roy would have been a bad style for him. Fast forward years later when Roy is shot (yet still floors Joe early) and Joe travels to America to face him!

Had he took on Pavlik before Hopkins and then fought Dawson, his resume would be absolutely solid.

I don’t see him winning the S6 though.

Hatton has more guts & heart than Joe. He came up in weight AND travelled to fight the No.1 & 2 best fighters of his generation & that era. Joe never did such a thing.

Bellew facing Usyk is tougher than anything Joe ever did.

305th likes this.
  10. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Bellew had a maximum of 10% of Calzaghe's boxing talent and skills - levels and levels below. Agree with Hatton and have great respect for chasing the elite even though he was found to be well below elite level.

Bellew was only fighting for PPV Pie against Usyk after rogering the PPV mugths with 2 'exhibition fights' against crippled Toe Haye who was finished due to injuries in 2013 hence that is why he retired.

Bellew and Haye the 2nd worst conmen in boxthing after Fraud following his mass rogering of PPV mugths against Pac and exhibition 'fight' against McGregor.

Bellew a conman who sails away into the sunset with his loot extracted from the PPV mugths. Now wants to be left alone with his multi millions of PPV Mug Money so no point bringing this pile of Evertonian turd into future conversations.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    305th likes this.
  11. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    This is a great video
    This content is protected

He'll always be my favourite, I just wish we could have watched him school Froch, and believe me, he would have done

Accurate, 305th and Jurgen like this.
  12. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Say’s more about Tony then! Lot less skill, ton more heart and self belief.

Joe wanted the Tocker Pudwills of this world, not the Usyk’s.

At least Tony fought “the man” in his prime to see who was the undisputed champ. Joe avoided RJJ until 2008! Let that sink in...

13. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Joe would need to have knocked out Muhammed Ali, Prime Mike Tyson and Prince Patel to get the credit he deserved from some on here.

14. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    When did Calzaghe quit during a fight?
    When did Calzaghe lack self belief during a fight?

Bellew donated Stevenson his arris at the first sign of trouble.

Warrior - NO
    PPV Mug Abuser - YES

15. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Absolutely mate - Frock would never cope with the hand speed

305th likes this.