Where Do You Rate FOTC?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    It's a top 5 fight for me just based on personal attachment but it was also an amazing fight. But probably behind only homes vs norton in terms of hw title fights for me.

2. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    As someone who's been watching the fights since 1963...the FOTC ...March 8, 1971....is the biggest fight of my life time! Unless you were around then...you have no idea of the magnitude of that night! People who didn't give a damn about boxing....who couldn't tell a boxing glove from a rubber glove...knew about the upcoming Ali-Frazier fight! After the fight was over...news bulletins would interrupt TV programs around the country with news that Frazier beat Ali by a 15 round UD. Massive fight in the history of boxing!!!

3. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Exactly

4. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    It was the Fight of the Century, one that featured both men giving their all. It also featured imo the greatest single performance by a heavyweight in history. I don't put anyone h2h against the Frazier of that night, but that's just me. Look in his eyes.

5. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Lol suppose it could be worse.. 59?

William Walker likes this.
  6. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    No. 1 HWC fight for me followed by Holmes v Norton and Holy v Bowe 1

7. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Holmes V Norton.. A absolute classic, one of the most two sided heavyweight fights I've ever seen.

8. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    lol yeah

Fergy likes this.
  9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    As far as excitement, I rate only Holmes/Norton above it, with Bowe/Holyfield in third.

As far as importance...it was called FOTC for a reason. And imo it's the FOTC of this century as well. Ain't no Joe Frazier or even 1971 Ali out there. Uh-uh.

Bonecrusher, Fergy, Noel857 and 2 others like this.
  10. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Agreed. That statement has deeply profound relevance just within the last two decades.

11. 88Chris05

88Chris05 Active Member Full Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Astonishing fight - says a lot about its brilliance that it still holds up to the very highest standards despite the passing of time, the fame and historical significance of the fighters and the countless times it's been watch and re-watched over the years.

I think I'd put it just ahead of Holmes-Norton as the greatest Heavyweight title fight in history, when you consider the whole package. It was a fight and brawl, but also a proper boxing match at the same time. And I think Frazier produced arguably the greatest performance of any Heavyweight champion in history. He was absolutely sensational and it's hardly surprising that he was never quite the same afterwards, even in victory.

Deserves its enduring moniker.

12. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    My feelings exactly, though Ali was clearly not the same fighter he was before his forced excile, he still was at least 90% percent what he was.
    And Frazier was at his absolute best, and wouldn't come close to this performance again.
    FOTC Was the greatest Heavyweight championship fight of all time action and skill wise AND It's historic significance.
    Only Joe Louis over Max Schmeling is the only fight that has more of a historic importance and impact as the FOTC, and that wasn't a fight but a massacre because Louis damn near killed him.
    The Thrilla in Manila both fighters were well past prime with Frazier only surviving and fighting as hard as he did because of his hate for Ali.
    It was a great fight, but it was very clear both men were on the downside of the mountain, and going into the valley. Both men should've quit after this fight. Perhaps before.

13. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I personally have it as the #1 all-time heavyweight fight and one of the top 10 greatest fights on film period. Arguably top 5.

14. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Ali and Frazier had another fight that was better than fight of the century

15. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    It was, above all, an event. THE socio-political event in all of sports, with two diametrically opposed forces transcending the realm of entertainment. The fact that it was also a pretty action-packed fight elevates its significance in both the social and sporting worlds.

Doesn't mean it was a truly great fight, there have been far better even at heavyweight but it lived up to its considerable hype, especially since it also happened to be Ali's first loss. That too made it additionally noteworthy.