Where does Félix Trinidad rank among the greatest boxers of the last thirty years?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, May 21, 2020.

1. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Agreed. First of all he was a terrific monster at 147, a weight where he never lost and defended his title fifteen times defeating very stiff competition ..Blocker, Garcia, Camacho, Carr, Pendelton, Barnes, Whitaker, Campas and of course De La Hoya .. Camacho and Whitaker were not in their primes but were still very good fighters and Tito cleanly defeated both. He then moved up and crushed former Olympian David Reid and Fernando Vargas who was looked at as a superstar at the time .. two very good fighters at 154 and then a gifted world champ , Joppy, at 160 .. He lost for the only time ever in his prime as an active fighter to all time great middleweight champion Hopkins two weights above his own prime .. the losses four years later came past his prime and to me mean nothing , sloppy decision losses way above his prime weight and handicapped by inactivity and poor conditioning to terrific fighters Wright and Jones .. Tito Trinidad was a great fighter.

2. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Yeah, I’m surprised he’s became so underrated. Maybe it’s because Vargas and Reid were shot after facing him but he deserves the credit. Those were hot match-ups where many felt could go either way. From 1994 until he first retired he was consistently in the top 5 pound for pound in a stacked era. Had an incredible 1994 for a young champion and the run from 1999-2001 where he effectively did three semi-final type tournament scenarios which resulted in unifying a red hot 147 and then a red hot 154 whilst being Fighter of the Year and forcing many to bump Jones from pound for pound points to a great fighter.

He was very dominant in nearly all of his fights too. An incredible two handed banger who throw punches beautifully and kept pressure on and a fighter who’d kill you at mid range. He wasn’t just some limited slugger. You had to fight a perfect fight and be of the highest quality to beat him. Like I say, I toss out the Wright fight. Tito has gone from a fighter who’d keep pressure on and punch for openings to a washed up, semi-retired once great who’d now wait for openings instead.

3. impacted

impacted Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I bought Trinidad vs Campas on VHS as a 15 year-old. I watched it and became an absolute Trinidad fanatic there and then. Absolute text book technique, the stamina and heart of a racehorse, fantastic body puncher, and that left hook...

I watch him vs Vargas and Joppy on YouTube whenever I need a boost. The title winning KO of Maurice Blocker as a 21 year-old kid was highlight reel, the ability to go up through the gears and dominate whenever he was knocked down, just awesome. I saw on the Mayweather channel some of the ''experts'' were picking Errol Spence to beat Tito in a fantasy fight, gave me a good chuckle.

4. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    He's not below Oscar. Tito is on par with Morales.

roughdiamond likes this.
  5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    His destruction of Thiam between Reid and Vargas was impressive as well. Tito was doubling that left hand up. Hook, uppercut, then uppercut , hook. He was a sweet puncher.

ChrisJS likes this.
  6. ChrisJS

Sep 11, 2018
    Lol, yeah I saw that too. No chance Spence makes the final bell let alone beats Tito but Mayweather club types aren’t going to pick based on logic it’s based on who they’d root for.

7. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Weird question,Why exclude heavy and limit to last 30 years

mark ant likes this.
  8. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Vargas was put in too soon v Tito, it ruined his career.

9. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Tito punched far harder than Spence does.

10. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    I disagree .. he was in his prime .. he beat Quartey, he beat Wright .. he fought a hell of a fight against Tito .. in fact I think that was the toughness win Tito ever got .. much tougher that the Oscar fight .. he ruined Vargas ..

11. ChrisJS

Sep 11, 2018
    Yeah, yesterday someone in a Facebook forum posted up Quartey-Forrest, which was around 2005/2006 after he’d basically been out for 5 years. That was a robbery. I made the point Quartey also beat Lopez and deserved the De La Hoya win (off 16 month layoff and malaria mind you) but Vargas beat him clear right in the middle of all of that. Vargas was on fire at that point.

12. Bronze Tiger

Bronze Tiger Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2018
    I think I would rank Tito ahead of Calzaghe ( just my 2 cents )

13. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I think he is underrated also. I think the problem is when a guy is favored in a fight and then gets beaten badly, it does hurt the legacy and everything they did before that. And he did lose when he stepped up in competition which hurt him more, so his greatest wins are seen as a ceiling.

14. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    He only lost jumping up two divisions to an all time great in that greats natural weight division .. I have no clue what tour talking about ..

15. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    There are some rumours about handwrapping that are totally unproven but even the hint will take some of his legacy away for some.