Where does Wilder go from here? Is this the end of his career?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by UFC2020, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Eggman

Eggman "The cream of the crop! Nobody does it better! Full Member

Dec 2, 2015
    He might not be physically damaged long term, but the blueprint is out

he’s mentally damaged forever. AJ would steamroll him.

if he’s happy to be hanging about the top 10, ok fair enough.

but there are only two men of this era, AJ and Fury. May the best man win

2. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    He was a heavily protected fighter. A fraud in many ways but he has heart and a big punch. He should take long time off and then decide if he wants to earn more money. But he has lot of flaws and it won’t be easy for him anymore

Oneirokritis likes this.
  3. GlassJoe

GlassJoe 1-99 TBE Full Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Now we see exactly why Wilder turned down the Joshua match, Whyte, etc. Just imagine if those were Whyte left hooks detonating on Wilder's jaw.

4. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    He needs to go back to the drawing board and finally listen to his trainers for once and learn to box. He's only really had that one big weapon in his arsenal, that right hand and we saw how if you push him back, he can't get the same leverage on it.

He better hope Showtime doesn't relegate him to the level of the other heavies in their roster. Now he has no title and been lets be honest kind of exposed, he wasn't just beaten, he was taken apart by Fury. They may not be as willing to throw money at him and making a loss like before. Will depend upon the PPV numbers for this fight, if it's done as well as they hope then Showtime will likely keep backing him, otherwise they'll look to another heavy in their roster to try and build up as the next American star.

Maybe a fight with Kownacki or Martin, though I'd personally set him up with a softer option to build his confidence, before stepping up and trying to make another title run.

I don't see the Joshua fight happening now. Joshua only needed him for the title, Joshua will set sights on Fury instead.

TipNom likes this.
  5. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    He can potentially come back. Question is will he. It takes a man to come back from a loss like this. This is on the level of Wlad getting whacked by Sanders and Brewster or AJ vs. Ruiz I. It takes a man to come back from a humiliation like that. We'll see if Wilder has it in him.

Oneirokritis, Scar, Bofo24 and 3 others like this.
  6. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Who needs him?

He’s not got a title, he’s not a major money generator, he’s just been brutally exposed. But he’s still a massive puncher. Wilder could still knock anyone out.

He had his chance a few years ago with a huge deal on the table to unify v Joshua and he didn’t take it. Nobody is interested anymore.

Usercom likes this.
  7. chico g

chico g What are you staring at Mr Trump?! hahaha! Full Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Option 1.
    Give up the rematch, probably lose big money and will be at the retirement age before he gets another title shot.

Option 2.

Come in ultra light, take the rematch and hopes he can KO a fighter he dropped 2 times before.

Difficult decision.

8. The Clan

The Clan Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 11, 2007
    He’s done!

There’s no point in a rematch, he has no hope of closing the gap between him and Fury. They’ve spent 19 rounds in the ring and Fury has dominated all but about 1 minute of them.
    He’d have nothing more than a punchers chance, a Hail Mary swung like Babe Ruth aiming for an over the fences home run. Problem is Fury would see that coming a mile off, so as I said, no point other than money and I don’t think that’d be as good in terms of PPV Numbers.

His other option is to go back and work on changes but who’s he going to fight?
    He can’t get away with cherry picking so allowing for one comeback bum, he’d need to be in with a live fighter from his 2nd return fight onward.
    That puts him in with Whyte, Parker, Ruiz, Martin Maybe Dubois, Joyce, Ajagba etc
    These are fighters his handlers have avoided like the plague.

I think he should count his money, spend time with his family and move onto whatever the next thing is!

9. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Spinal! Full Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Joshua vs Wilder is still a great fight.

10. Finkel

Finkel Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Not sure about that.
    Martin - who many consider to be Joshua's weakest opponent - had little trouble with Washington who is considered one of Wilder's harder fought wins...

11. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Spinal! Full Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Martin was basically looking for a reason to go down vs Joshua, had the heart of a mouse.

Styles make fights, Joshua would try to keep Wilder at range, he wouldnt go inside like Fury.

12. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    From a Will Wilder Retire is he Loses thread

'Wilder (42-1-1) admitted he could have no complaints, despite being disappointed with his team for throwing in the towel and stating that he came in to the fight with an injured leg.

"My side threw in the towel and I'm ready to go out on my shield," Wilder said "I wish my corner would have let me go out on my shield - I'm a warrior.

"I had a lot of things going on coming into the fight. My leg was already wrecked coming in due to other things."

Would that be the same leg y0u were using to walk around on non-stop after arriving at the venue and during your warm up, champ or rather former champ?

13. latineg

latineg user of dude wipes Full Member

Jun 4, 2009
    He got bullied and roughed up in there.

He let America down as a nation.

I’ve never come across a fighter with such a glass equilibrium. It’s like his ear sockets are made of fine china.

14. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    There's a rematch clause, and that will be for a lot of money. Probably less as this one as it's pretty clear who's the favorite now, but still a lot of money.
    There have been a lot of excuses and there will always be fans who eat that sh_t up. Still money to be made here.

15. themaster999

themaster999 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Eddie Hearn will come knocking.

Big Pricey v Wilder coming soon.