Which 175ers in history would you comfortably favour over Sergey Kovalev?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Beouche, Sep 29, 2015.

1. N_ N___

N_ N___ Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Anyone who thinks Foster would have an easy night is out of their mind. That fight is pick'em at best.

With that said, I expect Ward to have a surprisingly easy night against Kovalev.

2. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Moore, Charles, Langford, Greb, Tunney

3. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    :good:good. Sergei is 33 already. I don't think he's going to get better. I would take everyone on these lists except Stevenson to beat him. And Burt mentioned Billy Conn. He beats Kov also.

4. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
  5. Golden_Feather99

Golden_Feather99 Active Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2019
    I just wanna say that Kovalev is a very underrated fighter h2h, especially on this forum.

roughdiamond likes this.
  6. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    I agree. He would trouble most light heavies IMO, even Moore and Charles. I would never pick him to beat them though.

I think Qawi is an awful match up for him though.

Golden_Feather99 likes this.
  7. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I believe a prime Billy Conn, Bob Foster,Archie Moore, Matthew Saad Muhammad, and Michael Spinks. Kovalov has trouble with boxers, such as Alvarez and Andre Ward. Saad could withstand loads of punishment, but fearless, remember the title winning bout with Marvin Johnson in 1979. Conn was on the verge of winning the World title from Joe Louis in 1941, before trying to slug it out with Louis, and getting knocked out. Foster in his prime could keep you on the outside with his long left jab, before landing that crushing left hook remember Vicente Rondon in 1972. Moore took Marciano's bombs before taking the count for good. He even had Rocky down in their Sept 21 1955 title bout. Spinks was very awkward and a good boxer, but that Spinks jinx leveled many an opponent.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    roughdiamond likes this.
  8. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Kovalev is the type of fighter who I think would do mostly well against mobile out-boxer types with lesser power who he can go after or slower-footed aggressors who he can matador and keep on the end of his long heavy punches. There's still a chance that a cute infighter with a good chin but limited punch could still bother him though and expose the relative stiffness of his approach imo.

I like him a lot less against more skillful big punchers and aggressors who could take his power and put him under pressure, so I wouldn't favour him against too many of the excellent/great decent-hitting/durable boxer-puncher throughout history who I've seen. Against that level of fighter I'd say he'd stand a better chance against fighters like Loughran, Pastrano, Harvey, Fourie, Maxim etc. Or smaller older fighters like Walker or Burley moving up. The sort of guy in a deep era who, if he could rebound well from a bad defeat or two and stay relevant (if), might score a mixture of good impressive wins and heavy defeats.

9. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I don't know Spinks or Foster would not have trouble landing on him after a few rounds.

10. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    Roy Jones beat Kovalev EASILY. Roy ate straight punchers alive. Imagine Roy landing that right hand to body on Kovalev?