Which boxer do you feel is most difficult to get a good read on as a viewer ?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Conteh'sLeft, Aug 10, 2021.

1. JOKER

JOKER "I waited until the time was right." — Floyd Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Pac's severely underrated defense. Because he's such a small guy, blocked punches tend to move him or send him flying back. He bounces off the ropes like crazy, too. This gives the illusion that he is taking punishment when in reality he's blocking and slipping a lot of punches.

2. JOKER

JOKER "I waited until the time was right." — Floyd Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Marquez's skill set was easy to see, imo. Punch selection, combos, and the subtle elite footwork (almost always in a position to counterpuncher).

3. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I must admit I'm not good at reading fighters in general at first glance. I find other people can discern patterns better than I can when watching sports. My brother will be watching a football match and say one team is about to score and then it happens and I have no idea how he picks up on it.

I have to really rewatch guys over and over again to see what is probably obvious to guys like you.

JOKER likes this.
  4. RJJFan

RJJFan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Recently, Beterbiev. It's still a bit of a mystery to me how his style works.

Toney F*** U likes this.
  5. miniq

miniq Big Stiff Idiot Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Joe Joyce

Really hard to appreciate and see what makes him so good by the eye. He looks outright bad at times

but he really does have something going for him, will be good to see him fight the top tiers.

J Jones and Brighton bomber like this.
  6. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
  7. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Yeah going into Rio I didn't rate his chances at all but then he shocked me by getting to the final and I thought he beat Yoka like many people and so when he turned pro I watched all of his fights. I found the Jennings fight to be really eye opening in seeing how he adjusted. I think he's actually improved quite a bit since turning pro and may not be the finished article despite being quite old.

By the time he fought Dubois I had picked up on much of what he does that's so effective which is why I picked him over Dubois.

And yes it will be interesting to see how he does against the top guys in the division.

8. HolDat

HolDat Active Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Same here!

9. Brumsongs

Brumsongs Member Full Member

May 29, 2021
    Watched him very closely last time out and what I think he's up to is a rhythmic thing. That jab keeps coming out like a metronome until it seems to his opponent like it's a fact of nature. Then he shifts gear entirely with a weirdly timed combination and he's got them. People who say he's a robot are half right but are missing why.

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  10. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Active Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    This is it in a nutshell - Joyce's rythym is arythmic - as bizarre as that sounds.

Brumsongs likes this.
  11. Brumsongs

Brumsongs Member Full Member

May 29, 2021
    It's ridiculously regular right up until it isn't.

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  12. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Marquez is the best counterpuncher I’ve ever seen. At the right weight an primed he was absolutely lethal. A great fighter

13. Eel87

Eel87 Active Member Full Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Took me a while to appreciate Pernell Whitaker. Same with Hagler.

J Jones likes this.
  14. mpg

mpg New Member Full Member

May 10, 2015
    Andre Ward, he has no special effects and doesn't jump out of the screen when you first watch him but his skills are less easily distinguishable ones like ring IQ and mastery of fundamentals and a rough and tumble inside game

15. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Marquez was excellent. For me, at this time in boxing, I say Usyk and Loma. The angles they use and positions they are in when they throw is diffrent than most fighters. It's difficult to see what they are setting up.