Which boxer in history would you pick in a bar fight?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Thirdtonunn24, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
  2. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Tex Cobb not a bad choice. I'd be hard impressed to pick someone over Joe Frazier in a street fight. Joe wont start the fight. Whoever does Is gonna be sorry they did bout 5 seconds in. It may not be a clean punching display and couple people may end of in the emergency room. Frazier was a pit bull, you can claim victory laying in the hospital while your nuts are in a vice grip.
    Point is Joe is taking it the distance. Your muscles probably won't intimate him.

Thirdtonunn24 and steve21 like this.
  3. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    Sonny Liston, Ron Lyle, Roberto Duran, Jack Dempsey, Mike Tyson.

White Bomber likes this.
  4. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Sonny Liston any one who sees his stare would run a mile

5. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Carlos Monzon, I like living too much.

6. steve21

steve21 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2015
    I’d go with Joe too … others may be bigger or stronger, but I don’t think many were tougher. Frazier was one of those guys who would have died in the ring before he’d quit; if he had anyone other than Futch in his corner, he might have. That’s the guy you want to have your back, too -

Thirdtonunn24 and Cookiedough like this.
  7. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    A couple of thoughts.

Perhaps somebody with experience in battle royales, like Jack Johnson or Elmer Ray might make sense.

Perhaps somebody who was proficient in another martial art, like Paul Berlenbach.

Perhaps we are overthinking this, and you can't go too far wrong, with any of the above.

cross_trainer likes this.
  8. Cookiedough

Cookiedough Active Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020
    A prime Holyfield at cruiserweight. Brave, Aggressive when needed, Skilful, Heart of a lion. Imagine getting cracked with a bare fist straight down the pipe from Holyfield!! Say hello to some new dentures and reconstructive surgery. It doesn’t bare thinking about. I do like these bring a boxer to a bar fight threads.
    The reality is that prisons are littered with ex pro boxers, and amateurs, who went too far on the cobbles. Some only threw one punch, others threw many. The damage that can be inflicted very quickly is at its best severe, and at its worst fatal. With that said, there is no safer feeling than being in the company of the ‘boxing squad’ on a night out.

ikrasevic and slash like this.
  9. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Size counts for a lot in a bar fight, in terms of psychological intimidation.

The mere sight of Valuev, would make most attackers lose interest.

10. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Be mindful not to pick the guys that are too left of field crazy - they might just turn on you at the drop of a hat.

Suffice to say, you WILL be shouting them drinks all night - if only to keep your readied beast placated - though that might be adding fuel to the potential fire that might harm you before anyone else.

Liston was known to become indiscriminately aggressive under the influence - perhaps it released suppressed inner demons - I’d be restricting him to non alcoholic Fire Engines for the whole night.

Too easy. :(

Noel857 and cross_trainer like this.
  11. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    You raise a fair point. Valuev is looking better and better. Ex-bouncer, intimidating looking, huge, and presumably has some experience deescalating. Unlikely to murder somebody and get me arrested as an accomplice.

Also Old George Foreman, since he saved the HBO broadcast team using polite intimidation against Bowe's groupies. He could probably talk us out of any legal trouble.

tommy and Pugguy like this.
  12. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    If we are picking for intimidation, I pick Mike Tyson. He still has the aura, and everyone knows who he is. The fight would likely just not happen if he was there and told the other guys to **** off.

As an aside, I'm having a humorous image of Lennox Lewis in a bar fight, being all polite and British and trying to defuse the situation. Then some guy hits him, and he turns around and knocks him out. Then apologies.

Cookiedough and Pugguy like this.
  13. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    The confrontation with Tyson & Green was in the street. Harlem around 4 AM. Tyson tried to retreat but Green provoked him, Tyson got out & knocked him out cold. Was relieved the next day when the paper showed he had not killed him!

cross_trainer and Pugguy like this.
  14. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Yes, capable but also level headed is best.

I had a friend who was a bouncer who I knew over a number of years. Didn’t see him for a few years again - with a few more pounds on and not so fit - and was surprised that he was still moon lighting in the job.

I said it must get that much more testing as you get older - particularly given a greater likelihood of young, fit protagonists - he replied - “True” but went on to say that his propensity to defer to his fistic skills (like a boxer, now somewhat eroded), had given way more to well developed de-escalation strategies which were successful far more often than not.

Best for all parties. The younger, possibly more inherently angry bouncers often looking for half an excuse to go the knuckle with their equally young and troublesome patrons.

Entaowed and cross_trainer like this.
  15. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    No need to imagine. This might approximate to how Lennox would deal with a drunk (for all intents and purposes, Riddick Bowe will suffice for the “role” :) )

Here’s Lewis and Bowe talking “smack” to one another after Bowe defeated Holyfield to win the title. Lennox’s “proper” English/Jamaican hybrid delivery is classic and easily understood. I’ll never forget “Chicken Bowe”, “Yo, bring it on Maaan!” and “You ain’t nuttin’ to me.” Hahaha.

Very subtle but also notice someone behind Bowe bumps Riddick and causes him to lurch ever so slightly toward Lewis - and Lewis twitches his own head back reflexively - can’t blame him - Bowe was the proverbial loose cannon.

This content is protected

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    cross_trainer likes this.