Which boxers in history could have beaten Tyson Fury in your opinion?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by GGGunbeatable, Jan 13, 2021.

1. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Wilder is overrated with a mediocre resume and Fury isnt vastly superior to Joshua until he goes in that ring and outclasses him with ease.
    That fight isnt a foregone conclusion as joshua has a decent chance to beat him.

2. Carl Weathers

Carl Weathers Member Full Member

Nov 3, 2019
  3. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    After Fury rolls through AJ we'll be stuck daydreaming about such fights

4. TFP

TFP Member Full Member

Feb 20, 2012
    I suppose that the most sensible interpretation of "could have beaten" means 'would have had a pretty good chance, e.g. woulld be around a 5 to 1 shot or better.

I'm in the camp of people who believe that most, maybe all, fighters from the 70s and earlier would be too small.

Peak [1986-88] Mike Tyson would have been better than a 5/1 shot against anyone ever, though Fury's height would of course give him problems.

Peak Lewis, peak Klitschkos [e.g. old Wlad fought him to a pretty narrow UD], obviously the same. I might even make peak Lewis a narrow favourite.

As already pointed out, Wilder aged 33 got Fury down to a 9.99 count, so a mid 2010s Wilder would surely have had a better than 5/1 shot.

Any version of Joshua has to be better than 5/1. Ditto most decent champions from the last 30 years or so.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  5. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Price was dropped and beaten by Fury. Don't think Fury was dropped by Price.

6. ShovelHook

Jul 22, 2019
    He will, they all do.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  7. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Fury is far from unbeatable and he will lose in his era that’s for sure.

8. ShovelHook

Jul 22, 2019
    Seeing as Fury is quite inconsistent the reality is he could lose to a number of heavyweights throughout history. Based on his peak performance it's hard to rule against him but I reckon a peak Lewis, Vitali, Wlad and other assorted big heavyweights could beat him. Hell I gave Wilder a very good chance and think AJ does too.

9. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    No version of Wlad or Vitali can beat him.

Wlad doesn't fight inside, he will never beat Fury. He telegraphs all his punches against bigger men. He is a midget beater who clinches for his life.

10. Shahpoor Saiq

Shahpoor Saiq Member Full Member

Mar 2, 2020
  11. Thinking Man

Thinking Man Duke of Duende Full Member

Dec 15, 2020
    I've been asking that question since Wilder II - nobody beats Fury on that night. If you took the very best night of the Klitschkos, Lewis, AJ, Wilder, Tyson, Ali, Foreman, I'd rank them in this order on their best night with Fury's best the top of the list, as that combination of strategy, will, defense, strength and movement, not to mention the monstrous presence and sense of evil he brought that night...... the man licked blood and sweat off Wilder in Round 6 like a ghoul from another universe.
    1. Lewis - can move, has size, punching power, if his defense is solid he could make it interesting
    2. Tyson - pre Buster Douglas he just might explode into Fury and decapitate him in an early round
    3. Ali - never forget Kinshasa, the most surprising result and method of winning imaginable, Ali could see something we can't
    4. Vitali - awkward, big, strong, he was beating Lewis by a lot when the fight was stopped, more convincing than Rahmann or McCall
    5. Foreman - one punch capability, but Fury would outsmart him
    6. Wilder - we could say one-punch capability but he landed it, and Fury got up and won the rest of the round
    7. Vlad - we saw a non-peak Fury tie him in knots, Vlad looked like he wandered into the wrong movie
    8. AJ - recommend him for a youth club boxing coach or to marry my sister, but too cerebral for Fury who's cerebral, and has duende, that indefinable Spanish word that is just ....... duende. Nobody can deal with it.

Wild card: Someone talk to Otto Wallin and figure out what he did because with more skill and athleticism ...... AJ needs some of what Wallin had the night he fought Fury.

12. MarkusFlorez99

Jan 13, 2021
    :loel:
    This has to be a troll.
    Oh and if you want to know what wallin did to trouble Fury I'll tell you:

Wallin pressed the action against Fury instead of staying on the outside like Klitschko and Wilder. He pressured Fury on the ropes multiple times and tried dragging him into a dog fight. He also worked the body as well.

13. Thinking Man

Thinking Man Duke of Duende Full Member

Dec 15, 2020
    No troll, just a boxing fan commenting. Great question.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  14. MarkusFlorez99

Jan 13, 2021
    Oh yes the great Kronk Fury schools everyone in history after beating a technically limited fighter

15. bluebird

bluebird Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Many fighters can beat him. It's heavyweight boxing.

How many beat him more than 5/10? Very short list.
    Lennox Lewis, Larry Holmes, Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Riddick Bowe, Evander Holyfield ... maybe Vitali

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.