Which Brit disgraced us the least against Canelo?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by djfonti, May 9, 2021.

Who are you least ashamed of?

1. Matthew Hatton

19.5%
  2. Ryan Rhodes

3.4%
  3. Amir Khan

37.9%
  4. Liam Smith

19.5%
  5. Rocky Fielding

1.1%
  6. Callum Smith

2.3%
  7. Billy Joe Saunders

16.1%
  1. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Rocky Fielding was probably the only one who knew he had no chance and beat before it started.

2. iamthegreatest

iamthegreatest Well-Known Member Full Member

May 4, 2020
    Khan. Gave away a lot of weight and was outboxing Canelo up until the KO, which on a side note was absolutely brutal.

3. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    You can box well and still get caught. I have Canelo loads of credit in the main section RBR last night. He is ridiculously talented. The thing about this version of Canelo is that he WILL figure out his opponent at some stage and get to them. I’ve rarely seen anyone in combat sport step through the gears so quickly like Canelo did last night. He can only be beaten at LHW IMO by someone who can hurt him with punches.

LoadedGlove, DJN16, EJC83 and 2 others like this.
  4. "TKO"

"TKO" Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I think it's harsh saying any of them disgraced us (other than maybe Fielding, who as stated above looked like a man who knew he didn't have a prayer). Losing to a better fighter is not disgracing yourself. Rhodes, Hatton, Fielding and Liam Smith were simply way out of their depth and Khan was hugely outsized. BJS at least won some rounds and gave an account of himself before Canelo landed that killer shot.

If you're asking who put in the worst performance relative to what was expected of them then I would say C. Smith, I thought he might at least be competitive on the grounds of his huge physical advantages, but he showed nothing, although if the bicep injury is true then that might partially explain it.

Punchdrunk1 likes this.
  5. Skyver

Skyver Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Khan all day for me.he is the most accomplished on the list.and to go up in weight to fight Canelo with a chin made of prawn crackers was ballsy.

6. Punchdrunk1

Punchdrunk1 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Callum smith was the biggest letdown for me.
    The one who I thought would give Canelo problems but fought like a lamb to slaughter.
    Went down massively in my estimation after that fight.
    At least BJS gave a good account of himself when he was in there

7. Punchdrunk1

Punchdrunk1 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Props to Khan. He went up in weight and was doing well before he got caught.
    No shame in having a go and going out on your shield

CutThroatFade, djfonti and EJC83 like this.
  8. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    You can say what you want about Khan but in that particular fight he gave it everything, boxed brilliantly and ultimately it was a fight that highlighted the Goldenboy and Alvarez partnership at its worst, disgusting gulf in weight on the night.

CutThroatFade likes this.
  9. Sap1en

Sap1en Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 1, 2020
    7 VOTES FOR BJS! What a joke! haha.

10. Terry94

Terry94 15-05-20 Full Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Out of all the names mentioned, Rocky Fielding impressed me the most.

And by impressed, I was impressed by how **** he was, was an utter embarrassing performance.

asif_305 and EJC83 like this.
  11. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    I think BJS boxed well because Alvarez kept throwing power shots thinking he would land at any given time especially after the 1st 2 rounds.
    Yes I agree. Pretty much a light heavy now is the only one who can beat Alvarez. Sadly GGG has declined and I don't want to see a 3rd fight.

zulander and CutThroatFade like this.
  12. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I can't see a Brit beating Alvarez, possibly Callum Johnson but I don't believe they'd share a ring within 18 months and after that I think he's done, it would be a hell of a fairytale for Johnson if they did though and one of his bombs caught the juiced up to the eyeballs machine. Speaking of fairytales, presuming this fight with Plant gets made, if Plant was to use his size and strength and box intelligently I can see his story becoming a documentary style film. Bivol is the one guy I'd back against Alvarez at present but I don't think they'll want anything to do with a live 175er right now.

CutThroatFade likes this.
  13. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    I always thought that Matthew Hatton didn’t disgrace himself given the level he was operating at the time.

channy and Brixton Bomber like this.
  14. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Johnson would be a dynamite fight but yeah would never happen unless Johnson can get a world title at least. I’d be so pumped watching that because of Johnson’s balls-to-the-walls approach. If he gets clocked on the counterpunch by Canelo though he’s getting sparked.

EJC83 likes this.
  15. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Khan looked absolutely superb up until the KO, had absolutely no right being up at middleweight but his boxing ability was causing him nightmares. Khan would’ve been one of Britain’s absolute best if he had a chin.

LoadedGlove and Jamal Perkins like this.