Which fight is better: Holyfield/Bowe I or Norton/Holmes?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Marcus S., Sep 21, 2022.

Which fight is better?

1. Evander Holyfield vs. Riddick Bowe I

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. Ken Norton vs. Larry Holmes

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  1. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Holmes vs Norton was better for me. My main reason is because it was 15rds.
    Bowe vs Holyfield were great, but all 3 of their fights were scheduled for 12rds. 15 rds is a big difference maker in my opinion .
    Especially when the fight is fast paced and competitive.

2. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I agree completely. Even if the fight ended up not being as close, the action meant it didn’t really matter. Some of my favourite fights weren’t that close on the cards.

Bowe-Holyfield 2 was closer than the first fight and was very good, but most would say that the first fight was better.

swagdelfadeel and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  3. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    The dancing banana rocks. One of my favourites. Beware of litigation. You may be guilty of copyright infringement - McGrain has exclusive legal rights to all “draw” predictions. You could be staring at a temporary ban at the least.

Levook likes this.
  4. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    I hear what you’re saying but it’s still probably apples to apples in the broad sense, or should I say fruit to fruit <groan> - but their fights could certainly can be distinguished further given application of sub categories.

Both GREAT fights. Norton vs Holmes edges it for me because 1)Its superior technical features as you highlighted 2) Its extremely competitive nature with classic sea saw dynamic - could any fight have been closer than this? 3) Though translated in the most refined, boxing educated manner, it still had plenty of to and fro slugging to be getting on with - both men taking lots of punishment 4) A fight that allowed both participants to actually do and show off exactly what they did best.

Levook and Glass City Cobra like this.
  5. Levook

Levook Active Member Full Member

Aug 26, 2020
    LOL got it man

Pugguy likes this.
  6. northpaw

northpaw Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jun 5, 2010