Which fighter is greater pt. 4

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mark Dunham, Dec 4, 2021.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    What? Chavez was getting caught constantly.

2. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Chavez would rank higher on a pound for pound greatness scale. As to who was actually better/more effective in the ring at their best, I'd say it's a toss up. I rate Frazier extremely highly in that regard. He's among the quintessential swarmers irrespective of weight class, and his left hook was of the same caliber.

mark ant and JackSilver like this.
  3. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Not according to the scorecards which were closer than you are making out. Taylor was winning because with his greater handspeed he was landing more punches but Chavez was landing the stronger shots. There was no danger of Chavez losing his ears.

4. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Chavez had a more even attack with good power in both hands and just about every punch in the book.The right hand was his stronger hand but his left hook to the body is like the benchmark for all Mexican fighters in attacking the body.

5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    This content is protected

Fogger likes this.
  6. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Thanks for posting, Mark. This was quite interesting. It made me go re-watch Frazier-Foreman 1 to see why the defense didn't work well in that fight. The answer is pretty simple. George Foreman hit really hard. You can see Frazier employing the same defense but once he got caught the first time nothing else really mattered.

mark ant likes this.
  7. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Well,,,,Joe Frazier did win the greatest fight in the history of boxing.

8. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm not sure you understand the term. Would you say Duran outboxed SRL in the first fight?

9. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Completely, Duran was far more skilled than Ray on the inside, feinted him into oblivion and used his jab better at times, Duran was more skilled than Frazier and Chavez.

Fogger likes this.
  10. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    For more commonly accepted examples of out boxing someone look to Kalambay - McCallum 1, Hearns - Benitez, Hearns - Hill, Leonard - Benitez, Benitez - Duran, Whitaker - Nelson, a lot of 60's Clay/Ali etc.

11. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    tough things to rate since both had such great qualities.. Joe beat Ali and Chavez doesn't have that kind of name in his win column. To me that beats out Chavez. Some might say Ali was not yet sharp from his years off.