Which fights have you revisited and rewatched the most

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by DS Phil Hunter, Oct 30, 2022.

1. DS Phil Hunter

DS Phil Hunter Active Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2022
    They don't necessarily have to be your favourite fights although they could be. Which fights have you watched repeatedly and why? Was it to score the fight,study it? or was it because it happened to be a historically significant fight? What were your reasons?

For me Frank Bruno Vs Lennox Lewis is one I have often rewatched mainly because I had never seen Bruno that motivated and acquit himself so well and use the jab to great effect. Also because it was an early 1990s fight and reminds me of when I was younger :D

Similarly with Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn another British 1990s fight televised on terrestrial television in the UK the build up and actual fight itself was just as exciting. Another nostalgic fight from my formative years.

The Thrilla in Manila. I never fully appreciated or really understood this fight the first time I watched this on VHS. I prefer the Fight of the Century but after watching the Channel 4 Thrilla in Manila documentary and reading Mark Kram's Ghosts of Manila this fight I've gone back to repeatedly the version I'd like to watch but not seen is the BBC broadcast with Harry Carpenter.

Mike Tyson Vs Buster Douglas I was absolutely fascinated by how Douglas dismantled Tyson and this fight and the poignancy of Douglas fighting for his late mother.

These aren't my favourite fights but I have probably watched them more than any others.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  2. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I go through stages where I tend to watch a particular guys fights.
    One I've watched a few of is also Lennox Lewis.
    He had some cracking kos.
    I love his revenge win s over Mccall and Rahman.
    Can still remember him fighting Ruddock.
    I didn't give him a chance to be honest.
    Bang, proved a lot of people wrong.

DS Phil Hunter and Pugguy like this.
  3. turpinr

turpinr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Turpin vs Robinson 10th July 1951 without a doubt.
    With the biased BBC commentator muted or with an American commentator who's much more knowledgable.
    I've seen it on TV, on video and at the Great Orme.I last watched it on Friday and still cheered at the end.
    Others fights are Benn-McLellan, Ali Frazier I, Buchanan-Puduano, Louis vs Galento & Max Baer, Lewis vs Golota, Ruddock and Tyson and numerous other Tyson fights.

Pugguy and DS Phil Hunter like this.
  4. Soul Surviva

Soul Surviva New Member banned Full Member

Oct 29, 2022
    I love watching anything I can find from the 50s, usually Marciano or Ray Robinson, although the quality often sucks and I really hate when the original sound has been recorded over by some narrator...

As for more modern era fights I watch Holmes vs Cooney a lot, as also Tyson v Holyfield 1, and Trinidad v Mayorga

5. USFBulls727

USFBulls727 Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2022
    Ali-Foreman
    Ali-Frazier 3
    Foreman-Moorer
    Holyfield-Cooper
    Lewis-Ruddock

6. Themessiah

Themessiah El Jefe Full Member

Feb 1, 2021
    Mercer vs Morrison, i cannot stop watching that brutal KO

7. Charles White

Charles White Chucker Full Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Pretty much all of the 80s & 90s heavyweight fights, but I guess if I had to pick a couple that I have watched considerably more than the rest….the first Bowe-Holyfield fight and Ray Mercer-Larry Holmes stand out.

8. DS Phil Hunter

DS Phil Hunter Active Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2022
    Larry Holmes Vs Ray Mercer is one of my all time favourites.

Hi-Tech, Pugguy and Charles White like this.
  9. Charles White

Charles White Chucker Full Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Same here, a great showcase of masterful veteran tactics and guile by Holmes. Awesome fight and always leaves me feeling happy and upbeat.

I almost always find myself rooting for the old timer in a match between youth vs experience, and unlike many fights, this one didn’t leave me disappointed.

10. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    The ones I enjoyed the most are the ones I’ve rewatched the most, so naturally they are my favourite fights.

11. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Duran v Barclay watch it at least once a year.Love it

Pugguy, Sivaro, Reinhardt and 2 others like this.
  12. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Fight of the century
    Rumble in the jungle
    Gatti ward 1
    Sugar Ray Leonard vs Marvin Hagler
    Evander holyfield vs Dwight qawi
    Holy vs Tyson 1
    Morales Barrera trilogy
    Duran vs Barkley
    Barkley vs hearns 1 and 2

Pretty self explanatory. All very famous fights featuring some of my favorite fighters in exciting notable fights.

13. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Amazing fight. Barkley fought brilliantly. Duran in his last truly hall of Fame moment. Last time I watched I scored it a draw.

Bronze Tiger, Pugguy, Sivaro and 2 others like this.
  14. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Probably Sanchez-Gomez or Chacon-Limon IV, but honestly, I haven't seen either of them more than probably three or four times each. There's just too many other fights to see, and I know what happens there, so........

Now of course I've seen the KO sequence of Douglas-Tyson roughly 88,000 times but that's just one sequence, that doesn't count. Also used to replay the knockdown sequence of the first Randall-Chavez fight a lot. It made me happy.

Pugguy likes this.
  15. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Yeh it was an extremely close fight but i am unashamedly a big Duran fan and scored it to him but would not argue other wise.It was as you say the last truly great Duran moment

Clinton and Pugguy like this.