Which Light heavyweight Hit The Hardest?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mcvey, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
  2. tommytheduke

tommytheduke Active Member Full Member

Nov 21, 2013
  3. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    jesus could some of these guys hit. langford, fitz, satterfield, foster are way up there

4. The Mongoose

The Mongoose I honor my bets banned

Aug 13, 2009
    Hard to pick one over the other. Modern LHWs don't have the opportunity to mix it up with bigger men so they won't ever have the Satterfield/Baker moments.

But Kovalev is horrifying and will likely go down in history with these punchers. He knocks guys out with jabs to the body and arm punches where his feet aren't even set.

5. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    So many good choices to choose from on that list. Hard to clearly pick one fighter over another. Obviously Langford and Fitz are all time punchers. For me Foster was something.

As for Kovalev, I am hesistant until he gets a signature win over a big time name. Maybe he does it against Hopkins in November we'll see. I will say this his last two fights ended on jabs to the body. That is insane! His power is scary.

6. albinored

albinored Active Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2007
    .....ezzard charles is usually left off this list.....but when he was lightheavy fighting lightheavies he was a solid puncher

Boxingfan2 and thistle like this.
  7. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Yes he was ,but an ATG puncher at 175lbs?

8. frankwornank

frankwornank Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2007
    Eduardo Lausse was a middleweight but I agree he was an unbelievable puncher. He was such a big looking middle that he looked like a light heavy. He was a very heavy handed type puncher, his punches knocked your entire body backward. Foster was a sharp type puncher. Different type of puncher than Lausse.

9. BUDW

BUDW Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 23, 2007
  10. Vysotskyy

Vysotskyy Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Oct 1, 2013
    This has never made sense to me and i am hoping some of the folks in here voting Foster can explain their perspective. When guys like Langford, Choynski, Fitz, Spinks, Moorer proved their power against larger men in a way Foster failed to do and therefor demonstrated it as being greater in a P4P sense how can you rate him higher? I fail to understand that logic.

11. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Your point is taken .I think Foster demonstrated his lhvy power more spectacularly than the others did with his kos of Tiger, Finnegan ,Rondon,Depaula, and notably Quarry.
    That's my take on it anyway.

12. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
  13. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    for those that were champs, Archie Moore, Bob Foster, Mike Spinks for those that were not Ezz, Langford,Fitz,

14. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I voted for Foster because in my opinion, his power at heavyweight is irrelevent. Your thread question implies "lightheavyweight", so in that particular division, Foster was power personified, regardless of how unsuccessful he was as a heavy. Foster's insufficiencies as a heavyweight cannot degrade his obvious authority as a lightheavy killer. He was uniquely and ideally suited at 175 and that was his theater of war regarding his power. As far as the other lightheavies Vysotskyy mentioned, were they as spectacular and proven as one shot finishers as Foster was? I don't know about the others, but I don't believe that Moorer got very many of his opponents out of there as the result of one shot power as Foster did. anyway, that's my opinion regarding the question at hand.

Boxingfan2 and robert ungurean like this.
  15. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
    don't forget Yvon Durelle

ikrasevic likes this.