Which of the UK's "prospects" will be the most successful/failures?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by yesihavearm2, Sep 19, 2017.

1. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Yildirim is a harder fight for Jr than Groves.

Yildirim is the size of a house, Groves is barely bigger than Jr.

Yildirim can fight for days, Groves needs to take rests and can't hack a hard pace.

Yildirim has a granite chin, half the blokes Georgie Porgie has fought have wobbled him.

Yildirim relies on strength and tenacity, Jr cant match him in the strength department. Georgie relies on speed and the Jab, Jr is much quicker than Georgie.

2. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    ^Disagree mate, Groves is huge. You know he used to spar with Haye? He's a big 168, a lot bigger than Eubank.

3. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Agreed. For some reason they seem to get his height wrong in the stats. Murray is around 5”11-6”0, I know that for sure cos i’ve spoke to him. Groves towered over him by about 2 inches in that fight. I reckon he’s 6”1-6”2 easy.

CutThroatFade likes this.
  4. james5000

Apr 11, 2010
    Jr used to spar with Haye too

Jr might have come from 160 but he will never make that weight again, Jr is a good size 168lber, no denying Groves is bigger tbf he's not that much bigger though.

Yildirim is way bigger than Groves though, Yildirim was bigger than half the cruiserweights at the Gala!!

This content is protected

5. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    That's mental tbh, he's so damn thick, looks like he could be up to 200lbs there. Probably used drugs to make weight, after all the Turkish kebab boy Teper was using drugs.

Body wise he's like my g Khurtzidse except he's not a midget.

DirtyOldTown likes this.
  6. james5000

Apr 11, 2010
    Groves was talking about meeting Skoglund @ the Gala and Skoglund said he was already 81kg (178lbs)
    Groves thought Skoglund was dumb for peaking too early on his weight cut and thought he would be weak come fight night. He also said Yildirim was massive and would be twice the size of Jr come fight night.

7. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Okolie is the worst of the lot and after that I expect Yarde to come up short pretty soon.

Okolie though will not be able to navigate through the British level without getting pillow cased. Yarde is just flat average and over hyped.

Josh Kelly is the best prospect he oozes world class. I think that Dubois will also go on and have a good career in and around world level.

8. james5000

Apr 11, 2010
    Fowler looks impressive to me
    He's got good size @ 154, he's rugged, strong and hits hard. Fowler has good skills too.

Why do people rate Kelly over him?
    Is it age?
    Kelly looks huge @ 147, I think his time there will be short lived tbh, he will be @ 154 and his size advantage will be gone.

Kelly isn't particularly quick, his stamina looks questionable, he's got average power. He looks skillful but he's still easy to hit. I don't think he's athletic enough tbh. If you are going to be a poor athlete like him you need other qualities to back it up.

Think Fowler would eat him for breakfast

9. james5000

Apr 11, 2010
    As I said I think Fowler smashes Kelly to pieces but another bloke I forgot to mention is Chris Kongo.

Kongo is a 6ft tall welterweight who has rapid speed and seems to punch OK. His length and speed will get him above British level.

I think him an Kelly could be a good fight down the line. He's definitely a prospect to keep an eye on.

10. Guy Nicho

Guy Nicho Member Full Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Kelly beat Kongo very convincingly in ABA final

11. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    Josh Kelly poor athlete?

You really come up with some tripe.

12. Amazing one

Amazing one Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2013
    As I said before, prospects are there early to learn & build a fan base and get their names out there by looking great VS journeymen etc who they should look good against. But until you see fighters challenged a little, it's difficult to tell.

Josh Kelly is a prime example, he looks so fluid and skilled VS low level opposition and obviously was a good amateur too but over 12 rounds VS educated pressure, counters etc it's difficult to predict. I like to watch Kelly & Cordina out this batch, Fowler could surprise people & Buatsi has pressure and expectation to deal with. A way to look at it, Josh Kelly 3-0 VS 3-0 Errol Spence over 8 rounds both as novice pro's. Kelly flashier but can he evade educated pressure, great jab, speed, body punching & inside game against someone so well schooled. The style looks great but will it have substance at top level.

I don't see a guaranteed world champ in there yet of up & comers. We'll see though.

13. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    Taylor is a guaranteed champ IMO, I think he's already one of the best in the world at 140.

Neebur and DirtyOldTown like this.
  14. Amazing one

Amazing one Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2013
    I left him out because I don't see him as a prospect anymore, the Vasquez fight kind of confirms his team feel the same. He's a contender now, & getting better.

yesihavearm2 likes this.
  15. Bridie mcmahon

Bridie mcmahon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 10, 2015
    What's your take on the Vazquez fight bud?