Which of These Men of Color Could Have Been Lineal Champion, with no Color Line?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by djanders, May 24, 2022.

With No Color Line, Which of These Boxers Would Have Been Lineal Champion??

1. Joe Jeanette (Sometimes spelled Jennette.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sam Langford

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Sam McVey (Sometimes spelled McVea.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Harry Wills

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. All 4

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  6. 3 of the 4 (Name them in Comments.)

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. 2 of the 4 (Name them in Comments.)

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Personally, I think a case could be made for all 4 of them. I can even see where a bunch of them (or all of them) might have been trading the Lineal Belt back and forth for a while. There is a caveat to that, though, in that Color may not have always been the ONLY reason they were not given shots at the big belt. What do you guys think?

2. Jason Thomas

Jason Thomas Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2019
    I think Langford and Wills would have had very good shots. Wills perhaps the best.

Peter Jackson, from earlier, also probably could have been champion.

3. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Harry Wills almost certainly. Probably Sam Langford at some point.

I think McVea could have done it if the right fights happened, but maybe not. I think Joe Jeanette would have required more luck still TBH.

Peter Jackson is the other that almost certainly would have been without the Color Line.

I think Denver Ed Martin would've needed a ton of luck and good match making, and almost certainly wouldn'thave held it long. I don't think Bob Armstrong or Frank Childs would have had any serious chance, and would have been unlikely to get a title shot.

Larry Gains is another interesting one, probably good enough to pick up the title in the 30s under the right circumstances. Maybe just above Joe Jeanette, mostly because the title was changing hands more

In order probably
    1. Harry Wills
    2. Peter Jackson
    (The difference really being Wills's excellent longevity)
    3. Sam Langford
    (I think it's possible Jack Johnson would have had his number enough to stop him winning the title, but I think he'd more likely win it eventually)
    4. Sam McVea
    (I think his nest chance was probably pre-Jack Johnson winning the title, so his earlier peak separates him from Joe Jeanette)
    5. Larry Gains
    6. Joe Jeanette
    (He was good enough to pick it up at some point with the right circumstances, but I can't see any time where it looks especially likely)
    I think these guys are getting into the possible but really not likely territory
    7. Denver Ed Martin
    8. George Godfrey II
    After this point I don't think they have much of any reasonable chance.
    9. Bob Armstrong
    10. George Godfrey I
    11. Frank Childs

There's others, but they are pretty obscure and I don't feel confident to comment on them.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  4. Renaldo's Last Stand

Renaldo's Last Stand Member banned Full Member

May 4, 2022
    Any and all of them would have run roughshod over all of the white fighters of the era. That was the whole point of invoking the color line, so as to protect white fighters

Jason Thomas likes this.
  5. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I believe all the above COULD have been lineal champion, as i believe without the colour line the possibility of them fighting for the big prize, would have given them a massive impetus/opportunity to do better than their colour line career records.

Jason Thomas likes this.
  6. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Nothing to add, perfect explaination.

7. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    That's not true. White fighters and black fighters fought all the time in every weight class, heavyweight included. The color line was to prevent a black man from fighting for the Heavyweight Title.

Only one guy held that title at a time.

Harry Wills may have had a pretty good shot at beating Willard, actually, in the late teens. Wills was large enough and skilled. And Willard didn't fight much at all, other than exhibitions.

Unlike many, I don't see Wills beating Dempsey when he was champion.

Gains beat a very young Max Schmeling in the mid 20s. Again, I don't see Gains beating Dempsey or Tunney at all to lift the crown from them. And by the time Schmeling held the title five, six, seven years later, I think Max stops Gains.

I think Willard could've handled guys like Jeannette in the late teens.

Langford gets a lot of buzz around here with pound-for-pound fans, but I don't see him beating Burns when he was champ, Johnson when he was champ, Willard when he was champ or Dempsey when he reigned. Too small.

McVea, Godfrey ... no.

So, maybe Harry Wills against Willard is the best (and probably good) bet.

Otherwise, I don't know if heavyweight title history would've changed all that much. Then again, Wills beating Willard would've changed things quite a bit, I imagine.

8. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Why? Langford wasn't smaller than Burns and he was far better.

Jason Thomas and Seamus like this.
  9. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    When Burns was champ, Langford wouldn't have beaten him either.

10. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Before 1909, Langford already beat HWs like Jeannette, Sandy Ferguson, Tony Ross or Jim Flynn. Why do you think he wouldn't beat Burns, who wasn't bigger than him anyway?

Seamus and BitPlayerVesti like this.
  11. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I don't think Johnson ever loses to McVea, Jeannette or Langford. They were certainly better at different points, but had either of them got a title shot, I don't see them dethroning Johnson.

I also don't think Wills ever beats Dempsey, again he was very deserving and was better at certain times, but had he ever got a shot I don't think he takes it.

Old Jeffries, Hart and Burns all would have lost to the first decent black contender they faced though.

12. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Tommy Burns was champ from February 1906 to December 1908. He made 14 titles defenses.

Pick a night when Burns defended the title and tell us when Sam Langford beats him.

I see who Langford is losing to and tying with those years.

I don't see Langford upsetting the Word Heavyweight Champion and taking the title at any point from 1906 to 1908.

Because I don't see Langford beating Jack Johnson for the title. I think he's too small to beat Willard for the title. And I don't see Langford beating Dempsey for the title.

So, IMO, that's the window for Langford ... 1906-1908.

13. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    First would likely have been Tom Molyneaux. Lost a championship fight to Tom Cribb after a mob of white folks stormed the ring and broke one of his fingers. This was around 1812 IIRC.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  14. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    When Jeffries was "old" as a champion though? I don't see any black contender beating him at the time he retired, probably not even Johnson.

Jason Thomas likes this.
  15. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    I think Langford would beat him at the night he defended against Johnson for starters.