Which righty was the best southpaw killer?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Mike_b, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Mike_b

Mike_b Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2020
    Seldom do we ever hear the right handed fighter has the advantage over the lefty, but in terms of right handers, who diffused the best southpaws out there? My vote is for kostya tszyu (versus Sharma Mitchell) he kept circling to his right and killed it with tons of right hands amongst other punches.

If I was a southpaw fighting a righty, I would keep circling to my right,I would keep pumping the upjab and when my opponent squares up for a good look, smack him with an overhand left: rinse and repeat.

pacas likes this.
  2. wutang

wutang Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2012
    For me, guys with sneaky right hands. Hopkins and mayweather are good candidates. Although, hopkins did lose to two in Calzaghe and Dawson, albeit, he was no spring chicken. Everyone always liked to say floyd struggled against southpaws, but he always got the W. The way he varied throwing his right hand against Guerrero was really cool.

George Crowcroft and Pimp C like this.
  3. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Old bhop put on a masterclass vs joe calzaghie

4. MetalLicker

MetalLicker Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Kostya was a well-known southpaw killer. His right hand was deadly against southpaws.

Rollin and wutang like this.
  5. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    King Kostya sure did kill a few. In the amateurs - Artur Grigorian (future WBO Lightweight champ), Orzubek Nazarov (future WBA Lightweight champ) & George Scott Cramme (Olympic silver).

In the pros - Sharmba Mitchell twice (including as the reigning WBA Jr Welter champ), Jake Rodriguez (reigning IBF Jr Welter champ), Zab Judah (reigning IBF Jr Welter champ), Corey Johnson, Hugo Pineda, Angel Hernandez, Pedro Sanchez, Ismael Chavez & Ned Simmons. None of them lasted the distance.

He had a few decent lefty sparring partners as well - David Sample, David Diaz (future WBC Lightweight champ), Stevie Johnston (future WBC Lightweight champ) & DeMarcus Corley (WBO Jr Welter champ).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  6. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Are you okay? You know Joe beat him rather easily right?

Regardless, it's a terrible example, as is B-Hop, since he never did all that well against southpaws.

khaosai galaxi likes this.
  7. Alo2006

Alo2006 R.I.P Sean Taylor Full Member

Jun 28, 2006
    My exact pick is Kostya as well.

Sandman_ likes this.
  8. StussyBrownnn

StussyBrownnn Member Full Member

Aug 17, 2021
    Ive been on a deep dive of southpaws, and ive noticed that the 2-1 combo issa major righty killer, i only see it from A level guys tho. Guys just dont see it coming, and it also leads directly to a better angle on the outside foot.

9. CleneloAnavarez

CleneloAnavarez Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 18, 2021
    For the first half. In the second half he got tired and faked lowblows.

10. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Too an extent early on depending on what you define as a masterclass. B-Hop got out worked later on though, hence why he lost.

11. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Marquez weren't half bad....

I know you can say he lost to Norwood but I don't think he did TBF ..close fight but yeah kostya is a great shout

12. Betyabeatyaup

Betyabeatyaup Active Member Full Member

Dec 18, 2021
    Yeah if I was in a fight I’d just do this thing repeatedly and dominate, then I’d have sex with their mum. That was a dumb thing to say.

Anyway, Bernard Hopkins comes to mind. See him against Tarver. Perfection against a southpaw.

Mike_b likes this.