Which was the more credible performance?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Pompey Junglist, Nov 29, 2020.

Which was the more credible performance?

1. Yarde V Kovalev

75.0%
  2. Dubois V Joyce

25.0%
  1. Pompey Junglist

Pompey Junglist Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2019
    This morning I've been mulling over the performances of Yarde and Dubois against Kovalev and Joyce respectively.

Both feasted successfully on cab drivers and bouncers before coming up short when taking on a good opponent.

Dubois was at least contesting a tight scorecard yet I can't help believing Yarde's was the more credible performance. Despite scarcely landing for long spells, he stuck at it and almost got Kovalev out of there before gassing and going out on his shield - albeit to a jab like Daniel!

Dubois was trembling with anxiety from the 3rd round like a flat track bully who knows he's met his match. From the first bell he was getting jabbed in the face incessantly but never attempted anything to remedy this. And let's be honest, from cab driver to Kovalev, even an aging one, is many more steps than from Gorman to Joyce.

On balance and with the heart he displayed, I think Yarde's was the more credible performance.

im sparticus and TipNom like this.
  2. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    In fairness to Yarde, he very nearly had Kovalev out of there - despite the incredibly **** and bias BT commentary, Joyce was never in trouble and was coasting.

3. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    I’d say Yarde because of the manner of the fight. He went out to Russia on his own with a very small team. Was ridiculed by boxing fans back home and as pointed out above nearly had Kovalev out of there. His game plan, slate it if you want, was actually put in practice and nearly came off.

Dubois yesterday didn’t seem to have a gameplan beyond knocking Joyce out and failed to make an adjustment to deal with that jab which caused the stoppage.

4. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Yarde I'd say. He didn't have the hype that Dubois did and just came up short against a very good fighter in Kovalev and fought in Russia.

He deserves credit for that.

Holler likes this.
  5. Dubious Heart

Dubious Heart MANS OUT HERE QUITTING banned Full Member

Nov 28, 2020
    These were Frank Warrens two big hopes he was pushing lol.

Both were embarrassing , both got exposed.

Dubois won more rounds, but Yarde went out on his shield getting knocked out by a jab.

There's really nothing more shameful in boxing than quitting. So I'd have to say Yardes was more credible despite him getting completely outclassed knocked out and only winning a round.

6. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I'm still shouting "Lions" at my cat most mornings when I'm making breakfast, that's all the information anyone will ever need from me on this subject.

Pompey Junglist and Holler like this.
  7. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Yarde nearly stopped Kovalev. But he lost every other round. Dubois was massively in the fight but didn’t have Joyce in the trouble that Kovalev did. Hard call.

Pompey Junglist and Scissors like this.
  8. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I’d say Dubois. Yarde was clearly outclassed every round bar one and then stopped. Dubois was sort of outclassed at times but he was picking up rounds, it was close and you could make an argument for him quitting because of the injury.

Usercom likes this.
  9. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    The frustrating thing with Yarde if had 2 or 3 learning fights where had to learn to pace things, buy himself time etc etc. He could have genuinely beaten Kovalev. The world and his wife were asking him to take on tougher opponents before going for a belt and the truth was laid bare. Exhausted after putting all his eggs in one basket and getting done with a jab.

Still going someone as alien as russia against a top opponent as to be applauded

Pompey Junglist and Holler like this.