Which win was more impressive? 21 year old Mike Tyson over Michael Spinks or Barrera over Naseem?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Thesenuts, Nov 18, 2022.

?

1. Tyson over Spinks

39 vote(s)
    79.6%
  2. Barrera over Naseem

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. Fogger

Fogger Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    The way Tyson won was certainly more impressive than Barrera's win but Barrera beating a big favorite is more impressive than Tyson beating a big underdog. It just depends how you look at it.

2. chacal

chacal F*** the new normal Full Member

Jun 21, 2015
    barreara vs hamed was not impressive at all. It only proved that hamed was not at the same level barrera (and top fighters) was. Only fanboys thought that hamed was elite, his CV is pitiful. He was really tested only once, and he got ****ed and retired. Ridiculous.

It happened that it was barrera who kicked his ass, but it could have been morales, or any other world top fighter. Overrated is not enough to define hamed.

3. divac

divac Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    A win over an aging Holmes, and I thought Spinks lost the second Holmes fight, and a win over a well past it Gerry Cooney, does'nt make Spinks a real Heavyweight.
    Spinks neither had the footspeed or enough power in his punches to keep Tyson at distance so he was doomed going into that fight.

Though Spinks is a much better fighter than Hamed, Barrera was going up in weight to face an athletic punch at all angles destroyer in Hamed.
    Hamed was much more dangerous to Barrera than Spinks was to Tyson in that Hamed held most if not all the physical advantages over Barrera than Spinks did'nt over Tyson.

To me Barrera beating Hamed was the better win.

rinsj likes this.
  4. divac

divac Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    I agree with you, any of the other elites around the featherweight division would have handled Hamed, like Marquez, Morales, and Pacquiao.
    But the way I look at it, because of Hamed's lack of real boxing skill, he succumbs to the elite fighters but beats everyone just below that level just on his physical attributes alone. Hamed had just enough boxing skill to overcome over the hill fighters like Wilfredo Vazquez and Wayne McCollough. Manuel Medina was was a very good skill fighter but lacked speed and punching power.
    Kevin Kelley was a good win for Hamed, but Kelley also was one of those fighters that fell just short of being elite, but those were still good wins for Hamed at 126 lbs.
    Spinks never faced the real contenders at Heavyweight aside from having beating Holmes which turned out to be a good style matchup for Spinks in that Holmes no longer had the footspeed to cutoff the ring on a circling Spinks.
    For me to give the Tyson victory over Spinks more validity, I would have liked to have seen Spinks at Heavyweight over other top contenders at that weight.

5. Rollin

Rollin Active Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2021
    You could make an argument that Spinks threw the fight for an easy retirement money. Then again, Tyson's reputation made him toss the fight wishing he will get out of the game alive.

HolDat likes this.
  6. BCS8

BCS8 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Naseem was the Mike Tyson of his division and Barrera took him to the cleaners. Spinks was really a fighter made for a lighter division

HolDat and Oddone like this.
  7. Joe Davies

Joe Davies New Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2022
    Tyson, easily. He didn't just beat Spinks, he took a piece of his soul.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  8. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    MAB over Hamed was a solid win but not a signature win even though it was the more entertaining beat down. Hamed was not a proven elite fighter Spinks was

Pimp C likes this.
  9. Greg Price99

Greg Price99 Active Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Barrera's win, because Hamed was a better FW than Spinks was HW.

10. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Active Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Was Morales Pac1 not a great fight because it wasn’t for a title?

11. GGGfans

GGGfans Active Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2017
    +1
    To be precise Barrera should have had the WBC title but he had turned it down.

12. techks

techks ATG list Killah! Full Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Tyson retired that man and I think ppl take Spinks for granted at the weight bcuz of Tyson which isn't fair. Very few ppl r beating that version of Tyson. Spinks was more proven with better wins than Hamed not even including his light heavyweight reign. Idc if its just the Holmes wins either they're still more significant. Tbh, the gap between Hamed n Barrera is far wider than the gap between Tyson n Spinks too.

13. Guerra

Guerra Active Member Full Member

May 23, 2020
    I feel Barrera's win has aged worse. Especially when you compare it to morales vs Pac for example.

But Nas was a great win for Barrera.

14. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 8, 2014
    Tyson vs Spinks. Naz vs Barrera went 12 and was a near even fight going into the 8th round.

15. mark ant

mark ant Ass isn't a banned word Full Member

May 4, 2017
    No, because the gap between Tyson and Naz p4p was huge.