Whipping a punch?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by NHB7, Mar 4, 2018.

1. NHB7

NHB7 New Member Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    I saw a video once (wish I could find it again to share for people to evaluate) where the presenter described throwing a punch with your shoulder and letting your fist catch up a fraction of a millisecond later to give the punch an almost whip like motion to add power.

I remember hearing it and thinking “Maybe rarely, but doesn’t that telegraph the punch?” But recently I was reading Jack Dempsey’s book “Championship Fighting” in which he describes a tactic called a “Shoulder Whirl.”

Basically after throwing say a straight right he says “Now suddenly whirl your shoulders to your right and LET the shoulder whirl shoot your left fist. Be sure you LET the whirl shoot your fist instead of letting your projecting left arm pull your left shoulder around...”

It sounds like a more loquacious and detailed way of describing that whip like motion. I’m not against using a whip like motion, I’ve just always been taught to keep my eyes on the center of the clavicle so that my eyes can watch the motion of the shoulders and this catch any tells of an on-coming punch and it seems to me this whipping type motion is exactly the tell I’d need to successfully evade the punch.

Have any of you been taught to use this whipping type motion or have used it successfully?

2. darkrobot

darkrobot New Member Full Member

Apr 28, 2010
    I don't think it's the video you're looking for, but Russ Anber demonstrates something similar in his training vids on youtube:
    This content is protected
    As the hook is usually thrown at or near the end of a combination perhaps the idea is to get in a power shot when your opponent is already dazed and less likely to see the tell?

Although Lemeiux isn't exactly renowned for his defence.

effort2contend likes this.
  3. Heracles

Heracles Debonair banned Full Member

Jun 17, 2016
    The hook is thrown after the right hand because your weight is already shifted to your left foot so the hook is loaded up perfectly and it puts you back on balance after throwing it.

4. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
  5. effort2contend

effort2contend New Member Full Member

Mar 3, 2018

Wow. Really cool you posted this.

To what your describing,
    Middleweight contender Ira Mcdowell (registered amateur but HECK of a prospect) from Akron Ohio does a explosive move like this. I saw him live and of course on YouTube .

The awesome thing about it, while he more or less "whips around an opponent's gestures or punches". He broke the other guys ribs, while whip-evading-a-punch.

Lol, I was...amazed. check out some highly from some light sparring.

based on the ^above film but allot more "uncut" footage.

Ira McDowell of Dream Team Boxing Gym:

There are others on youtube.

6. Yuri Costa

Yuri Costa New Member Full Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Man, I understand you want to learn more about the '' whip '' effect. The act of whipping the punch is your turn to relax, and only tighten your fists when landing the blow on the opponent, you're probably throwing your very tense arms like iron bars, and do not forget to let the air blow when you strike.
    I'll give you a more detailed topic about it. It's in Portuguese because I'm Brazilian, but you translate.

https://www.expertboxing.com.br/tecnicas-do-boxe/como-golpear-com-efeito-chicote

7. Youthman

Youthman New Member Full Member

Jun 29, 2016

greynotsoold likes this.