Who are some boxers that could have beaten Ali in his prime or at least get close?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Feb 21, 2019.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    When I`m asking about Ali`s prime I mean just before the lay-off, he started looking amazing in the ring around that time, but which heavies may have been better or at least given him severe problems?

2. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Well no one (or very few) on this forum think anyone could ever beat pre exile Ali...

I think Frazier & Marciano beat him
    And Holmes/Lewis are 50/50
    And many of the top 15-20 are live dogs

3. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
  4. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Maybe a fighter Ali couldn´t impose his reach on, like:

- Wlad
    - Lewis
    - Bowe
    - Joshua
    - Wilder
    - Godzilla Douglas

Of course a fighter who was made to beat jabbers, with probably the highest combined amount of power and speed: Tyson

Maybe a very quick slickster who could match Ali technically: Spinks or Byrd

And, before you guys laughing, this one would be an absolute stunner to watch! Never ever would two 210lb man in a boxing ring speed it up like this: The dancing destroyer Herbie Hide against the shuffler.
    This guy was superb, but vulnerable against raw power. With Ali, there isn´t that much power coming to fear for his mandible. On the other hand, Hide could step up to Alis quickness with the difference, that he was much better offensively than Ali was. I believe this one might be a teriffic fight.

Marciano? The only thing Marciano could do against Ali was carrying power into the championchip rounds.....against a fellow who is well known for gassing late....................not!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Pat M likes this.
  5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Ali would have knocked Hide out, he knocked out Foley, Williams and Foster, Foreman said he can still feel Ali`s right hands to this day, Hide hardly got touched by Bowe and crumbled on the floor.

6. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    To beat Ali between 65 and 68 , the opponent had to have great foot speed, great jab, great and short left hook. Prime Frazier, prime Holmes,prime Tyson. Frazier had the foot speed and hook, so did Tyson, Holmes had the jab, . Those would be my 3 choices.

timmers612 and Pat M like this.
  7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Holmes didn`t have quick feet.

timmers612 likes this.
  8. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    You saying he had slow feet?

Pat M likes this.
  9. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Compared to Ali and Tyson, he moved kind of clumsy and got caught by rights as he moved a prime Ali would never have been caught by Shavers right hand the way Holmes was.

10. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    But he had the jab, possibly the best in Heavyweight history . And what Holmes did best (That jab) could pose a serious problem for prime Ali. A great jab can offset what Ali did best ( foot speed,reflexes, his own jab) force him to do what he did to other fighters, make them reset their offense.

11. JackSilver

Jun 24, 2017
    Yeah and a prime Holmes wouldn’t have been caught by Coopers left hook the way Ali was. Maybe Ali was kinda clumsy as well as he got caught by lefts as he moved?

12. thanosone

thanosone Love Your Brother Man Full Member

Sep 23, 2007
    I take it you're not a fan of Ali.

13. JackSilver

Jun 24, 2017
    Cant deny his greatness. I had him at number one in a H2H heavyweight list on another thread ahead of Holmes,Tyson and Lewis but that don’t mean that I think he’s perfect in all aspects of the boxing game in terms of skills, styles and effectiveness. He’s has weaknesses and faults as well but some here at times don’t seem to see that at all.

14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Ali was more serious in their rematch and trained to lose weight to increase his footspeed even Cooper admitted that despite saying Frazier and Marciano would have been harder to fight because they didn`t give you a second to breath, plus Ali was talking to Liz Taylor in the crowd when he got caught, Ali got caught by a lot of Frazier`s hooks in their first fight because they shot upwards suddenly after Joe stopped Weaving making him hard to time and hard to evade, Ali got hit by much less hooks in the rematch, but Holmes often got caught by the right hand, this might not be significant due to Larry`s age but it was right hand that Tyson first decked Holmes with, he just seemed to be a sucker for the right cross.

15. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    You're looking at the very big great guys and Joe Frazier, I reckon. They'd get closest.

he grant, ETM and mark ant like this.