Who are your favourite British fighters? (Top 5)

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by KeedCubano, Sep 21, 2020.

1. TipNom

TipNom Active Member Full Member

Jun 19, 2019
    1: Randolph Turpin
    2: Micheal Watson
    3: John Conteh
    4: Lennox Lewis
    5: Ken Buchanan

George Crowcroft likes this.
  2. LD Boxer-Puncher

LD Boxer-Puncher Well-Known Member Full Member

May 10, 2017
    Wow, what an embarassment you are.
    It's hard to fathom why you've decided to continue digging the hole deeper for yourself when you've been proven wrong at every turn thus far.

It is a part of the island of Ireland...which has 2 nations, Northern Ireland has been its own nation since 1921.
    There are bills/legislation (which you won't have heard of, as you don't know what you're talking about) which cover every person born there as a British citizen, with the additional right to claim dual nationality (if you seek Irish citizenship out, which the majority do not) also. I can assure you Carl Frampton identifies strongly as British.

As this is a boxing forum, rather than a political one..added to the fact that you cannot type in coherent English, whilst I am a British citizen from the nation in question...I'd suggest we leave it there and that you cease from embarrassing yourself. I certainly won't waste anymore time on you

3. Aussie Invader

Aussie Invader Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jan 5, 2017

if jones-calzaghe was a "50-50 fight at any time in their careers" then where was joe when jones was the LHW and P4P king?
    i'll give you a clue. he wasn't anywhere near the US.

and you say that hopkins "would've lost to calzaghe at any time", yet joe got a split decision against a 42 year old man!
    where was joe when hopkins was MW king and P4P 2?
    i'll give you a clue. he wasn't anywhere near the US.

and i've just explained to you why their primes were poles apart, but you don't want to hear it.

the bottom line is you're making excuses for a fighter who had no intention of testing himself against the best fighters in the world while they were in their prime.
    if he had, he would have done what amir khan and ricky hatton did - left frank warren, boarded a plane, and raised his profile in the states.

khan and hatton collectively fought prime canelo, floyd and pacman because they dumped warren and went to the states.
    who did calzaghe fight who was in their prime?

i made a comment on a thread about al raymi ('undefeated fighter') recently, and it was that al raymi, ottke and calzaghe collectively fought over 100 fights, they all retired 'undefeated', but the BEST opponent in their prime on their collective resumes was mikkel kessler.

do you know how many fights they collectively had in the US?
    you know, the place you go to earn your fights against the world's best?

two.

if you want to make big fights, go to the US.
    if you don't, then you'll be sitting on a boxing forum saying that calzaghe 'woulda, shoulda, coulda', just like you're doing now.

4. JOSEY WALES

JOSEY WALES Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Yet he agreed to fight Hopkins in America in 2002 .

5. JOSEY WALES

Feb 27, 2006
    British
    John conteh
    Alan minter
    Henry Cooper
    Frank Bruno
    Joe calzaghe

And just for the Invader

Jefff Harding
    Lionel Rose
    Les Darcy
    Paul.Ferrari
    Jeff Fenech

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Aussie Invader likes this.
  6. Aussie Invader

Aussie Invader Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jan 5, 2017
    and the fight didn't happen because calzaghe had zero exposure stateside - nobody there knew who he was.

go to the US, get a profile, garner the interest of the networks (so it generates some $$$, which it would have because calzaghe was very good), and then you get your career-defining fights - just like khan and hatton did after leaving warren.

warren never got his fighters an establlished US profile back then, because his formula was :

get the fighter 'a belt', bolster their resume with stiffs, fight in britain, and sell the 'world champion' tag to casual fans to milk the belt.
    he mirrored what the germans did with the likes of sturm, ottke, michaeleweski etc...

JOSEY WALES likes this.
  7. JOSEY WALES

Feb 27, 2006
    Yes but it was Hopkins who agreed to the fight but basically doubled his purse demand the next day so in this case it wasn't calzaghes doing the fight fell over ie he was the one willing to go to the States to ( make a name for himself )., but to your second point I agree to a certain extent Warren had a tried and tested method for his fighters that did include getting a recognised belt for his fighter and milking it , effective when you consider Warren alledges calzaghe earned a reputed £18,000,000 prior to leaving him , calzaghe could have unified earlier i agree but the fella ended up £25,000,000 the richer and the undisputed 168lbs King of the world retiring unbeaten , forget the RJJ & Hopkins crappola the kid did great the Jones & Hopkins fights were just a cash grab .

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Aussie Invader likes this.
  8. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Me thinks you poking fun...
    for me _ Ted "Kid" Lewis
    Jimmy Wilde
    Ken Bucanhan
    John Conteh
    Terry Downes.

JOSEY WALES and Noel857 like this.
  9. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Some great fighters there

JOSEY WALES likes this.
  10. JOSEY WALES

Feb 27, 2006
    Absolutely adore the life story of Jimmy Wilde mate the book " Fighting was my business " has some fantastic stories in it , from " Trainee mountain fighter " to World Champion is a thing of beauty . I actually by chance literally bumped into the doctor who looked after Jimmy up our local hospital one day and he told me a sad tale of his final months , real tear in my eye stuff man .

Noel857 likes this.
  11. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Ok buddy, will get the book ASAP. Keep well.

JOSEY WALES likes this.
  12. JOSEY WALES

Feb 27, 2006
    You too mate

13. LD Boxer-Puncher

May 10, 2017
    Cuckoo land, carry on you fool. I've told you why you're wrong and that we're done. I don't need a lesson on my own country from a moron. You'd be better off if you "teached" yourself when to quit. Now shut it

14. deltrotter

deltrotter Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 8, 2013
    1:- John Conteh ( first fight I ever went to and he was my first sports poster on my wall )
    2:- Nigel Benn ( been in some great fights, a true warrior )
    3:- Naseem Hamed ( just because he was so different and entertaining )
    4:- Frank Bruno ( such a likeable man and was so happy for him winning a World title )
    5:- Johnny Nelson ( He never gave up on his dream and is a good pundit )

So many more though Honourable mention to Joe C, Eubank Sr, Lennox Lewis, Froch and so on and so forth

15. LD Boxer-Puncher

May 10, 2017
    So now I'm not from there? Bore off you idiot. You haven't got a clue