Who could be AJ's Manny Steward

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by CJH, Jun 24, 2019.

1. CJH

CJH Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Manny Steward was renowned for taking GOOD fighters, with lots of talent but lots of flaws from good to great fighters.

Im sure if he were around today, AJ would be a perfect pupil for him to mould.

I think its widely agreed that AJ needs a new trainer (although he seems loyal to Rob) - who in todays boxing world be AJ's Manny Steward?

Hanz Cholo and POTUS like this.
  2. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Maybe Wlad can train him. He is not doing anything.

3. jmashyaka

jmashyaka Boxing Addict Full Member

May 7, 2016
    If anything Manny was the best at taking talent fighters and getting rid of their limiting flaws however majority of the fighters he coached didn’t have many flaws. Usually they just weren't fighting to their strengths. AJ needs an authoritarian type coach for me, Rob gave him good instructions but he couldn’t execute coz he was out of it. I think maybe an Atlas or Virgil Hunter might be stern enough to get his respect.

PaddyGarcia likes this.
  4. TheRevAshton

TheRevAshton Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Making for the ultimate Rocky 3 scenario!

Wlad could be all like "Hey after this you owe me a favour" and AJ will be like "What favour?!" - Then when AJ wins the rematch, he and WK will have a rematch behind closed doors, where the footage (and result) will exist only on a single USB Stick...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  5. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    I'm not sure it's that straight forward with Joshua. To correct flaws is to improve things a boxer does badly. Problem for AJ is there are key things he simply does not or cannot do. He can be taught to box off the back foot, use minimal but lateral movement, jab and grab, clinch properly etc but these are not flaws, they are huge chasms of boxing technique missing from his game almost entirely.

The fact Rob M has not addressed these means either he didn't think them important (a mistake if true) or, more likely, his charge cannot master these basics and they honed his style down to something easily digestible - based on power, basic jab, right hand boxing and overwhelming opponents who cover up under attack and don't punch with him.

Sympathetic match-making hid from AJ the things missing from his game and finally facing someone all wrong for him, brought out all these issues in one perfect storm of a fight.

Not sure a change of coach will sort all this out....

6. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    The only person who could be AJ's Manny Steward is Manny Steward, and he's dead.

Steward was one of a kind.

MAYBE Virgil Hunter, but I don't want Joshua to become a boring clincher.

Contro and George Crowcroft like this.
  7. TheRevAshton

Dec 12, 2018
    Not sure as AJ is pretty far gone, how much improvement can be made?

Maybe Virgil Hunter could help? The Mayweathers?

8. Simon Head

Simon Head Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Lol! Good one.

TheRevAshton likes this.
  9. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Lewis was worse than AJ is now before Steward took over in his corner, AJ`s right hand is shorter and less telegraphed than Lewis`s was v McCall, that`s how he got countered.

10. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    AJ`s would act better than Stallone did in Rocky 3, can you believe Sly is charging over £800 for pics fans want to take of him when they meet him?

lloydturnip likes this.
  11. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    AJ is a very good fighter, Ruiz was just better.

jhar26 and pistal47 like this.
  12. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    There was a film study guy on youtube called Barry Robinson who is a boxing and MMA trainer and he was in negotiations to become part of AJ`s team for the Ruiz fight, but got the run around so he pulled out, he would be a great trainer for AJ.

13. TheRevAshton

Dec 12, 2018
    This is true!

Though IMO, if AJ can improve his conditioning and footwork he should be able to beat Ruiz - but not easily!

14. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The Lewis that blitzed Ruddock would beat AJ

305th and BlackCloud like this.
  15. jmashyaka

jmashyaka Boxing Addict Full Member

May 7, 2016
    Lewis is a better fighter than AJ could ever be, thats not to knock AJ coz Lewis is an ATG, however that’s just truth. AJ has accomplished more than Lewis did but I don’t think Lewis was much worse, you have to remember it was different eras.

George Crowcroft likes this.