Who Could beat The Roberto Duran of 41 Years Ago Tonight?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Indefatigable, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Indefatigable

Indefatigable Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2021
    Allllllllllright!!!!!!!!

Balder likes this.
  2. Indefatigable

Indefatigable Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2021
    I disagree.

boxingjunky and robert ungurean like this.
  3. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Don't see either Basilio or Griffith able to beat Duran at any time during his
    welterweight run. They wouldn't have the firepower to keep Duran honest.
    Especially on that night in Montreal.

Lenny and RulesMakeItInteresting like this.
  4. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I strongly sympathize with this, but I wouldn't bet on a fight against SRR.

Man_Machine likes this.
  5. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Well, certainly Lloyd Honeyghan and Donald Curry would tame him.

Just kidding. (LOL)

Ali Holmes and Clinton like this.
  6. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I can understand the tendency to favor Robinson and, if we were talking about any other night, I'd probably agree with you. It goes against the grain to pick against SRR, but Duran was something else that night, 41 years ago, in what could well be argued as the greatest win ever.

Just my opinion, of course.

7. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    He was just about the perfect fighter that night.

We have to plumb deep into the greatest Welterweights off all time - to beat the Lightweight Duran at his best.

Sugar Robinson, Emile Griffith and Mickey Walker - Hearns on the very top of his game would be a 50/50. Duran is just that good.

8. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    By the same logic, New Orleans Ray - the one that was put forward by @JackSilver - beat Duran. Duran, five months on from Montreal, was in the ring and lost against Leonard. I know you'll say that was a different Duran but that would be making excuses. The very thing you won't accept if people make them for Leonard.

JackSilver, Bokaj and boxingjunky like this.
  9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Again, I strongly sympathize with this view. Leonard up to that point seemed to be the next Boxing Miracle after Cassius Clay. He was quite sensational to behold. But Duran was like Frazier in FOTC (perhaps the greatest ever heavyweight performance).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  10. cslb

cslb Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Duran doesn’t beat Hearns at 147 let alone Robinson. Too small and they are too talented to lose to someone of Duran’s size.

11. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
  12. Zulu King

Zulu King Member banned Full Member

Jun 17, 2021
    I'd pick Shawn porter, Aaron Pryor and probably Floyd Mayweather to all have a chance to beat him at that weight on that night .
    Pryor is a toss up because of the weight, I'm assuming for argument sake that he transitions to welter with no problem.
    Excellent thread btw

13. Lenny

Lenny Member Full Member

May 23, 2021
    Zulu---all great fighters but Duran had too much firepower. Pryor --Duran at 140 would be great to see. However , Duran still a master at boxing. We think of him as a assassin, but in reality he was a cold calculating boxer that outthought, out boxed, and outfight his opposition. He outslugged Leonard, boxed a strategic fight against a prime Hagler, and shredded a helpless but game Moore. Like SRR and a few I have not watched.... a almost perfect fighter. That night i would bet on him against anyone. OK maybe not SRR

14. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Duran on that night was a tough out for anyone no doubt. Just think, 147 wasn't even his best weight. I wouldn't favor anyone over him at 135 period.

Lenny likes this.
  15. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I would agree.

I would also happily back SRR. He hits quite a bit harder than Leonard and is much more aggressive on the whole and more importantly far more comfortable letting his hands in tough fights. He had the sort of power (and speed and skill to land it) that would give Duran's aggression pause and push him into a more cautious game that, like against Hagler, he is not going to win despite looking very good.

Lets not forget that Duran tired late in this one (yes he did tons of work prior) and Robinson would be coming on more dangerously than Leonard ever could at that stage if in fact the fight was still going.

I'd favor Hearns too. That freakish power could well pull the switch on Duran. I think he'd have to win by knockout tho.

Another guy i'd give one hell of a chance would be Charlie Burley.

Guys like Luis Rodriguez wouldn't be no walk in the park either.

Duran, as great as he fought that night was still at his absolute greatest at 135.

JackSilver likes this.