Who Could beat The Roberto Duran of 41 Years Ago Tonight?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Indefatigable, Jun 20, 2021.

1. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    SRR, Hearns, Whitaker, Mayweather

2. Samtotheg

Samtotheg Active Member Full Member

May 4, 2021
    This fight is getting overrated judging by these comments, it wasnt a blow out and it was not like duran knocked him down 10 times or finished him, I think Joe louis vs schmeling is a fight where you can ask that question(who can beat him on this night )

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  3. Indefatigable

Indefatigable Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2021
    Paaaaawwwwwtttyyy pooooooopppppeeerrrr

4. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Completely different scenario. No one EVER considered Schmeling great, even at his best. Louis was expected to annihilate Schmeling the 1st time they met. That Louis fulfilled that promise in the 2nd fight is only prophecy expected and begs the question why did it take two fights?
    Duran vs Leonard was a battle of an ATG vs a future expected to be ATG. The future ATG held all the physicality cards of size, speed, and natural weight. That Duran was able to go up 2 weight classes and fight that well against THAT ATG is something that should be considered special.
    Yes the fight was a battle and close, as it should be when two fighters of that caliber meet.
    But Duran clearly won in a great give and take fight. The second Louis vs Schmeling fight can be seen as more overrated than the Leonard vs Duran fight in Montreal TBH.

Bah Lance likes this.
  5. Bah Lance

Bah Lance Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Yes, to all of this. If anything Duran vs Leonard is getting underrated.

Duran moved up against a younger All Time Great who held every physical advantage, and cemented a solid win. That doesn't happen too often.

Balder likes this.
  6. Samtotheg

Samtotheg Active Member Full Member

May 4, 2021
    If you add the historical significance to the second Louis schmeling fight than its far from overrated.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  7. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Ray won in New Orleans because of Duran's preparation and mental state.

8. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Absolutely correct, I actually think Duran Ko's Hearns inside 8. He'd never survive the assaults that Leonard did early on.

ETM likes this.
  9. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Anyone who watches that fight and did not see one of the greatest fighters in the history of boxing ( Duran) knows nothing about the sport.

Clinton likes this.
  10. Flash24

Oct 22, 2015
    Are we talking about history or the fights themselves? Of course historically Louis vs Schmeling 2 was far more important from that standpoint. Especially for was about to happen world wide for the next 7-8 years.
    But I was comparing the fights themselves and just as important , maybe more so the participants, not the historical significance of them.

11. Bronze Tiger

Bronze Tiger Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2018
    I agree

12. Bronze Tiger

Bronze Tiger Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2018
    No one has mentioned Wilfred Benetiz

Flash24 likes this.
  13. scandcb

scandcb Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Yes, yes, maybe, no.

14. Flash24

Oct 22, 2015
    The often forgotten member of what should be called the fab 5, or the 5 kings. But my problem with Benitez at welterweight is he struggled mightily with Palomino. While Duran pretty much steamrolled him. I believe Duran of Montreal ( Meaning at the very top of his game) Would do the same too Benitez. He would overwhelm him. Though styles make fights, I don't believe Benitez would get the room to work as he got at Jr.Middle. also Benitez looked even stronger at Jr.Middle than he did at welterweight early on. He carried that weight very well.

15. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I think the Duran of Montreal would stop Wilfred late, overwhelm him.