Who did Marvin Hagler Call the Hardest Puncher He Ever Fought?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by The Undefeated Lachbuster, Dec 16, 2018.

1. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Such as? Like a place or time?

2. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Tommy had a MUCH weaker chin than Hagler too

William Walker likes this.
  3. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Mugabi? Tommy was rarely hit clean in fights. If he had such a weak chin he would have been stopped more. in almost 70 fights, stopped 3 times, and against some of the best fighters ever. Mugabi? I think Hearns avoids the punches and lands his right hand early and stops him. Hagler was not too great defensively at times if the guy was willing to trade. But he usually persevered. Mugabi giving Hagler a tough fight does not mean that much. Roldan gave Hagler a tough fight and Hearns beat him. And Hearns actually stopped taller guys easier than shorter.

Doppleganger likes this.
  4. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    saying Mugabi could beat Hearns takes more than one fight against Hagler, when Marvin was rusty and had not fought in a year. The other fights John had against top guys he sort of crashed and burned,and he would beat a legend like Hearns? It is speculation. If the punches which John hit Marvin with hit Hearns? I don't think Hearns would fight him like that. If John's punches hit Norris or Thomas, he would have won those fights also probably. But John was almost out in round 6 against Hagler and Hearns hit much harder.

5. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Oh, I was just wondering how he actually got a chance to talk to Hagler. Like did he work with him, or interview him, or just bump into him somewhere?...
    If you're prefer not to say, I totally understand. There are crazy people all over the internet who may try to dox you.

6. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Nah it's alright

Apparently he ran into him while on a trip to Brockton for work related business. He asked Hagler who him the hardest, and Hagler said it was Mugabi. He compared Mugabi to a LHW puncher.

Take it with only a grain of salt cause he said the memory was hazy, my father is almost as old as Hagler himself lol

7. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I have always felt that the Mugabi fight shortened Hagler's career... And likewise Dan near ended Mugabi's career.

8. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Hearns fought better guys than Hagler ever did. His resume was better. And he moved up and beat higher weight champs.

9. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    I think he got an old Hagler who was not sharp that night. Mugabi did not prove much in his career to say he had a shortened career.

10. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Perhaps you ignored the "likewise" comment where I suggested that Hagler LIKEWISE reduced Mugabi's career.

It was a really damaging fight between two great punchers.

William Walker and BCS8 like this.
  11. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Hagler would have knocked out Mugabi in about 4 or 5 had he been active. He is a guy who should not have fought when he was not motivated. I guess most guys should not.

12. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    he was stopped enough!

I think Mugabi probably would have knocked him out

I think Roldan would have knocked him out had he stopped dropping his hands by his waist. He had Tommy on ***** street in the 4th and Tommy lucked out

Both Tommy and Roldan had their best days behind them

13. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    My opinion is Mugabi would not stop Hearns. Hearns had a better track record in big fights and his whole career to say Mugabi would stop him. Hagler was rusty in 1986 and was not landing his punches clean, his left hand was bend and he was not punching it straight. He was rusty.

14. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Gotta give Dewitt some love. He wasn't the most talented Middle in history
    but he was tough as nails. I remember the Hearns fight , Dewitt came into
    it in the best shape of his life. He wanted to get the upset. Hearns landed shots that
    would've ko'ed most middles in history. Dewitt just wouldn't go. He was up for it.
    It's happened to every big puncher in history. Some fighters refused to be stopped.

15. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    :risas3: I know, he's killing me.

BCS8 likes this.