Who did Roy Jones avoid during his career?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by klion22, Aug 22, 2007.

1. kg0208

kg0208 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 8, 2005
    And he never did. He ALSO said he wouldn't fight outside the US. Since he never did...I should think the statement he actually backed up has more validty. As for the rest of what you posted....thats BS. Jones should have made the fight? Well then Benn should have accepted the terms. Thats how it works.

2. MJRJJ23

MJRJJ23 Active Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Jones said he would not fight McClellan because they where and still are very good friends. Roy is the only boxer that has went and seen G-man since the tragedy. Same as Winky Wright, He woudln't fight Winky Wright either if there was an oppurtunity because there very good friends.

3. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Your a dumb ass, Benn was under contract to Don King meaning all negotiations had to go through King. So Benn couldn't accept $4m under another promoter.

King proposed $25m a piece for each fighter - probably providing P4P targets were set. This was a possibility Benn was massive in Britain far bigger than Hatton is now.

The fact you think Benn should accept $4m, while both were talked about getting a possible $25m shows your bias.

He said he would goto Britain BEFORE he was no1 P4P and BEnn and Eubank were champs. After he was P4P no1 and after both Eubank and Benn lost there was no point in going to Britain.

4. Axe

Axe Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 23, 2005
    I have never heard of this before. As far as I'm aware, HBO simply came to Universum without throwing figures around, and wanted to know how much they would want for Roy coming over there and how much it would take for Dm to come to the USA. There was never any offer from HBO that I have ever heard of. Roy did make DM a lowball offer, the same type of money that fighters like Telesco and Frazier made to face Roy.

Btw DM made 1 million against Hill, well over 2 mil against Rocky (rematch), and over 4 million USD for his fight with Tiozzo, plus more money off of endorsements; I sincerely doubt anything Roy/HBO offered was even close to this.

Would you have a link?

5. Unlimited

Unlimited Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Maybe not:-( you seriously think hopkins would kill RJJ?

6. klion22

klion22 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Not kill RJJ but i think it would've been closer because RJJ still had his raw talents when they first fought and that is what Jones continued to rely upon later in his career. Hopkins, on the other hand, became much more polished since they first fought and became a truly complete boxer who knew all the tricks. So in that sense, i would say that Hopkins did become better based on how they fought. Jones was a guy who relied a lot on raw talent to get it done and he had that when they first fought.

There is a reason why Jones told Tito not to fight Hopkins. There is a reason why Jones thought Tito would lose when the whole world thought Tito would win.

7. klion22

Aug 4, 2007
    And another thing.

After watching Hopkins' interview before the Trinidad fight, it's AMAZING how confident he is. He predicted the outcome just as he said it would. He said Tito is one dimensional and that he would elimate his best weapon (left hook).

And after the fight, he said he simply looked at Tito's foot to predict when the left hook was coming. The master boxer indeed!

And it's amazing how he was so right about Tarver and Wright. The guy just knows what he's doing.

8. Unlimited

Aug 8, 2007

9. Unlimited

Aug 8, 2007
    I mean yea that makes sense to tell Tito not to fight hopkins heck cause Jones wanted that check and couldnt get if if Tito lost that has nothing to do with him thinking Hopkins got anybetter and just because Hopkins beat Tarver doesnt mean he could beat Jones. Jones just always had the rite things to beat him. And when do you believe hopkins was in his prime?

10. Unlimited

Aug 8, 2007
    Tito was just a pay day everyone knew him jumping up in weight and fighting someones as ruff a Hopkins he would lose he had no chance just like he wouldnt have aginst roy.

11. klion22

Aug 4, 2007
    No, Jones specifically told Tito not to fight Hopkins because he thought Tito would lose to Hopkins and therefore, cancel the megafight.

As for Hopkins being in his prime, i really can't say for sure.

12. klion22

Aug 4, 2007
    Oh please, that is just after the fact. Everyone didn't know that Hopkins would win. Tito was favored going in and many thought he would win. He was highly regarded before the Hopkins fight.

13. kg0208

kg0208 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Nope, no link. It was something I saw that was a conversation between Lampley and Merchant in a post fight after one of Jones wins.

And I am fairly certain that they could have offered DM more than 4 million. But since there is no proof either way, I will not argue the point.

14. Unlimited

Aug 8, 2007
    Yea dat was my point Roy and Hopkins knew they would kill Tito cause he was a smaller fighter and im not sure when hopkins prime was i just dont give him to much cred for Tito,DLH because of them two hoping up to fight someone they knew they would lose against so i think Hopkins realy did fight Him in his prime and should have taken the 60/40 fight i mean Roy was the reason the fight woulda been watched.

15. Fab2333

Fab2333 Needs to Get It 2Gether Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    When RJ beat Hopkins he was in his PRIME. I dont understand that. They say you are in your prime of life from 21 I think until 35 or somethin like that. When ya body is fully matured and at its physical peak. And when RJ beat b-hop he was in his prime. DOnt see how a 2nd fight would have been different. RJ just got the skill to beat B-HOP period