Who Do You Rank Higher _ Marciano Or Frazier??

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Oct 28, 2020.

Who do you rate higher?

1. Rocky Marciano?

35.9%
  2. Joe Frazier?

64.1%
  1. Marcus_Italicus

Marcus_Italicus New Member Full Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Marciano and Frazier both fought against great boxers. Marciano has always won. Frazier lost a few matches.
    If you look at his career, what really matters more than weight, technique and more, Marciano is better.

2. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Both Ali & Louis "lost a few matches."

This^ reads like an opinion, with not much of a reason behind the conclusion.

What are people supposed to see that "really matters more", when they look at Marciano's career?

3. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Jimmy Ellis and Jerry Quarry were at least as good as those wins. They were in their physical primes.

4. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Its Joe for me. Marciano's 49-0 has alot of filler in it. Rock was still up in Providence deep into that 49-0. He did a great job those last 10 fights or so proving he was the best.
    Frazier on the other hand after winning Olympic Gold ran his record to 29-0. Joe started fight some top fighters earlier than most. Bonevena in fight 12 for example. Even Machen was a test for an inexperienced pro. A little less filler in Joe's record. I also consider Manila though a loss a testament to Frazier's greatness.

5. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Marciano's biggest wins were against shopworn fighters. Moore was a great fighter at Light Heavy. Charles was a great fighter but on the downside. Walcott was old as well but I concede JJW was fighting as well as he ever had. That was a great win for Rocky.
    Frazier's opponents were in their primes.
    Jimmy Ellis had just won the WBA Tourny and was never knocked down as a heavyweight until he met the fists of Frazier.
    Jerry Quarry was the runner up in said Tourney. Very much in his prime. Joe walked through him.

6. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Quarry and Bonevena would knock those guys out.
    Mathews couldn't have gotten out of the dressing room against Buster Mathis.

7. scandcb

scandcb Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Frazier and it isn't even close.

Frazier is easily in the top 10 heavyweights of all-time.

Marciano would only just sneak into my top 15.

8. Knights107

Knights107 Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Marciano is my favourite heavyweight

But frazier wins..

9. Cojimar 1946

Cojimar 1946 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2014
    This nitpicking of Marcianos opponents as being past their prime is pretty odd given that many of the prime fighters Frazier beat simply weren't that good and also lost to guys past their best. A shot Eddie Machen beat Quarry and a past it Patterson beat a prime Bonavena.

10. Cojimar 1946

Cojimar 1946 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Why is a guy who was only the third best of his own era worthy of a top ten ranking?

11. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    So you’re now basing Rocky’s rating on him beating Ali in a computerised fight?

12. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I've ruddy heard it all now!

13. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I don't mean this personally, but these posts are hilarious entertainment. Made me glad I stopped by tonight.

Fergy likes this.
  14. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    I hold Marciano Frazier and Tyson as the best small men to lace them up at heavy. All top ten heavies ever. I think Marciano edges him out as I’ve said earlier. They’re so damn close in everything. Pretty equal stamina, power, chin. Give the edge to Marciano h2h and pretty even record wise. Moore, Charles, Walcott, Layne and Louis are just as good as Ali, Quarry, Ellis, Bonavena, Machen. Ali obviously being the best win but I’d hold Moore Charles and Walcott as they were against anyone else on Frazier’s record.

ETM and RulesMakeItInteresting like this.
  15. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Splitting hairs for me, I have them both on the 7-10 tier, and don’t think there is much separation or not enough for me to clearly declare one superior to the other by any margin worth arguing over.

Bokaj likes this.