Who do you rank higher: Andre Ward or Joe Calzaghe

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Flo_Raiden, Sep 21, 2017.

Greater fighter

1. Andre Ward

111 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Joe Calzaghe

214 vote(s)
    66.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Calzaghe running away with it on the poll.

2. boxerfan13

boxerfan13 Member Full Member

Jun 10, 2012

The fact you just named all those bum fighters warrants 0 response from me. Undefeated Lacy... YOU ACTUALLY MENTIONED UNDEFEATED LACY LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3. Scar

Scar Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Ward by far and away. Ward's wins over Kovalev all alone are better than Calzaghe's entire career. Add to that Ward's Super Six victory and wins over Froch, Abraham, Rodriguez(a super middleweight against a light heavyweight there), Bika and Kessler and you pretty much literally bury Calzaghe alive.

Calzaghe has 3 noteworthy victories. Lacy(A fighter with 20 professional fights against someone with 40 professional fights, and it was Calzaghe's career defining victory at the point :lol:), Kessler and ancient Hopkins.

4. boxerfan13

boxerfan13 Member Full Member

Jun 10, 2012
    THIS. End of discussion.. The fact that someone in this thread was trying to justify all those other absolutely past their prime.. Euro bums is unbelievable.

5. HerolGee

HerolGee Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    but but but......" Myger Mkerchan was a better win than Dawson".

just wow. ahahaha. Stand-up comedy gold.

6. bailey

bailey Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    0 response, meaning you can't refute what I wrote and further cementing what I said about you not knowing the division lol.
    Undefeated Lacy who was an undefeated SMW world champ. Tell me what undefeated SMW champs did Ward face? Or what top prime SMWs did Ward face.
    I expect another 0 response lol

Odins beard likes this.
  7. bailey

Dec 11, 2009
    You don't know Calzaghes career to have written something so far from the facts and obviously only watched the end of his career because he beat Lacy.

Who did kovalev beat that makes you rate him so highly?

Still you seem focused on Calzaghes last 4 fights at the weight due to lack of knowledge and possibly being too young to know the division. Had Calzaghe not had his last 4 fights at SMW which were Lacy, Bika, Manfredo and Kessler, he would still at SMW be rated above Ward with at that time having 17 successful defences, dominating for years, wins over Eubank, Reid, Brewer, Veit, Veit again, Woodhall, Mitchell who all were all world rated and had been were or became SMW title holders as well as wins over Starie, Mkertchyn, Sheika.

Instead Calzaghe has 22 successful SMW title fights and won WBO WBC WBA IBF titles
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I notice you didnt answer this below

I will note this post because the post you are replying to said the S6 and the 5 fights Ward had there was Wards coming out party which I agree with, so will start there and go with the nearest opposition Calzaghe had in 5 consistant fights. So below...

Ward in the S6 fought
    Kessler suffering eye problems and already beaten by Calzaghe when prime
    Green who lost to Johnson, who lost to Sheika Calzaghe beat
    Bika who hadnt been overly active and already beaten by Calzaghe
    Abraham coming off 2 losses in the S6
    Froch

Ward was the home fighter in all of those fights and in California for 4 of them
    Calzaghe fought
    undefeated Lacy
    Bika
    Manfredo
    undefeated Kessler
    Hopkins

Calzaghe was only in Wales for 2 of those fights

I rate Calzaghes 5 fights alot higher

Then move on to Dawson for Ward and it wasnt a top SMW win. What was Dawsons SMW pedigree? It wasnt as good a SMW win as Calzaghes over Mkertchyan in my opinion, let alone many other Calzaghe victories.
    Then you could mention Wards win over Kovalev and it is not better than Calzaghes over Eubank

Add in all of the other SMWs Calzaghe beat that were world rated and either was, were or became SMW champs in Brewer, Reid, Woodhall, Veit and Mitchell as well as the other world rated wins and there is no disputing Calzaghes greater career

Still you seem focused on Calzaghes last 4 fights at the weight due to lack of knowledge and possibly being too young to know the division. Had Calzaghe not had his last 4 fights at SMW which were Lacy, Bika, Manfredo and Kessler, he would still at SMW be rated above Ward with at that time having 17 successful defences, dominating for years, wins over Eubank, Reid, Brewer, Veit, Veit again, Woodhall, Mitchell who all were all world rated and had been were or became SMW title holders as well as wins over Starie, Mkertchyn, Sheika.

Instead Calzaghe has 22 successful SMW title fights and won WBO WBC WBA IBF titles

8. WhataRock

WhataRock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Joe probably best supermiddle. Though Dre would beat him no worries.

But better body of work at 175 for Ward puts him ahead all time.

To be clear though no matter what weight, no matter what period of their respective careers Andre Ward would defeat Joe Calzaghe in a H2H matchup. Its science, its fact.

9. mirkofilipovic

mirkofilipovic ESB Management Full Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Joe Beats Ward 9/10 times, Ward wins it once by low blow accumulation or judges controversial decision.

bailey likes this.
  10. JohnnyDrama99

JohnnyDrama99 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 24, 2012
    It's unjustified to call some of the names on Joe's resume "EuroBums". A lot of those names were ranked fighters during that era. Not everyone is going to fight legends like Hopkins, Jones, Toney etc. but Joe fought the best of his division at that time.

Kovalev is a very good fighter and one of the best light heavyweights of his era, however, who did he really beat that makes him an opponent that exponentially elevates Ward's resume to legendary status? Cleverly maybe? Pascal? Chilemba? Bernard is the only name on Kovalev's resume that he beat that really stands out. All the other wins are like Joe's....top guys who were ranked and the available opposition at the time.

Ward has some very good names on his resume and he beat a bunch of "EuroBums" that is the meat of his legacy. Guys like Froch, Abraham, Kessler and of course Kovalev. None of those names are going to be hall of fame fighters. They are also like Joe's opponents who will be under valued, under appreciated and discredited in a decade by some fans. It won't be an accurate account of the quality of opponents Ward and Kovalev beat....But it's similar to what critics of Calzaghe's resume will voice down the road

11. Odins beard

Apr 13, 2014
    What makes Rodriguez a good win?

Hopkins whilst old still went on to gain some good wins and was top 3 P4P at the time Joe beat him.

If you think Kessler and Hopkins are the only 2 good victories on Calzaghe resume then YDKSAB......but we've already established that.

kk17, JohnnyDrama99, bailey and 2 others like this.
  12. Odins beard

Apr 13, 2014
    Explain the science and facts then....

bailey and GodOfWar GGG like this.
  13. WhataRock

WhataRock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    There is an equation :

(Andre)(Ward)>(Joe)(Calzaghe).

14. Odins beard

Apr 13, 2014
    Thats neither science nor fact.....

What we've established is that you are another alt and moron.

15. bailey

Dec 11, 2009
    Only probably best SMW? By far. Far greater body of work and better wins.
    What is it that makes you rate the kovalev wins as so great? If kovalev losses his next fight there will be posts saying he was like lacy who was a top SMW until he fought Calzaghe.
    I guess you rate Kovalev for beating Hopkins, a fighter Calzaghe beat years previously which shows it was no greater win at all.
    Show me kovalevs LHW resume and show me Hopkins at the time Calzaghe beat him.
    Kovalev wasn't as good a win as Calzaghes over Eubank but was a bigger event

mirkofilipovic and Odins beard like this.