Who do you think was the most overrated heavyweight boxer ?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Claw4075, Sep 14, 2021.

1. moneytheman12

moneytheman12 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 4, 2021
    you cant see good or rushing cause I said joe was the best skilled so no none of the other dudes was as skilled as him ali fought

saying names like George son and earnie all overrated dudes who was slow and not tech at all why dont you watch matches instead of just saying names you read

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  2. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Hi Buddy.
    Thanks for prompt reply , once again your top 2 lines read a slightly skewd ! but anyway, not sure if the following puts me in a good or bad light, apart from the Moore fight, I saw ( didn't read ) all the other fights listed, some live , some within a few days or so, doesn't make me a better or knowable poster of course, any and everyone can now see these fights curtesy of YT, all the best matey. keep well.

3. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Yeah right,, I mean wins over Liston, Patterson, Frazier, Foreman , Lyle ,Shavers, Norton, Quarry, Chuvalo, Bonavena and others is a resume that is, uh well, sort of......second to none in the history of the heavyweight division.

4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think that men like Frank Bruno and David Tua get very overrated, simply because they conform to some peoples idea of what a dangerous heavyweight would look like.

Reinhardt likes this.
  5. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    Ali is a little overrated. Frazier was tough but didnt have enough guns.

Greg Page and Pinklon Thomas were vastly overrated

6. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Ingemar Johansson. Some crazy guy recently made an entire thread trying to argue that Ingo was the GOAT. Madness.

Ingo aside, Bowe strikes me as somebody who got lucky, and I don't think Holyfield deserves the recent trend of people occasionally rating him in the top 5. And Johnson, too -- he gets credit for fighting like James Toney when he was just as primitive as the rest of them.

Mark Dunham and kaapa2 like this.
  7. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    KO Mag had Evander at #3. That was after the first fight with Tyson. WHen I saw it, I thought they were way off

I thought Bowe was pretty awesome though

cross_trainer likes this.
  8. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Bowe wasn't terrible or anything; don't get me wrong. He was a very good fighter. But recently, I find it hard to shake the belief that there wasn't much separating him from the Douglas who showed up in Tokyo, or indeed the other good contenders from his era. Which is why Golota managed to manhandle him.

Reinhardt and 70sFan865 like this.
  9. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Partial...
    Wait! I thought this was settled! Ingo was the GOAT, correct? I sincerely hope we do not have to resettle this every week! I suggest you take another look at his girlfriend/wife.

10. 6.5winmag

6.5winmag Member Full Member

May 1, 2020
  11. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Absolutely disagree here. Listons resume is aces. Beat a lot of solid prime opposition and did it very quickly. Machen, Folley, Patterson weren’t tomatoe cans but very solid opposition capable of competing in any era. Williams was ok as was Nino and Wepner.
    My answer to that question would be Wilder. Extremely over rated

12. moneytheman12

moneytheman12 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 4, 2021
    cant say that brainwashed people will say he wasnt

13. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I see a few mentions of Ali here.

While it is certainly possible to argue that he is over rated, his record is clearly head and shoulders above anybody else, with Louis being the one arguable exception.

Just how over rated can he be?

14. tommytheduke

tommytheduke Active Member Full Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Overrated is a little bit Razor Ruddock

15. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe, but Lewis was overweight at his heaviest in his last fight, 256.
    The heaviest he was without being too fat was in the 240's.