Who else does this "move?"

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mario040481, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Mario040481

Mario040481 Member Full Member

Mar 27, 2019
    I like Erik Morales a lot. One of my favorite fighters and I believe I've watched all of his available fights I've seen online. In doing so I have noticed that in every one of those fights he does the following* move, or I think better said, he has a few variations on the following theme as seen in the link below. Now, like in life, there's likely nothing new under the sun in boxing. Be that as it may, I don't think i have ever noticed what he is doing done by other fighters, at least not in such an obvious and plain to see manner. I have seen Canelo do something vaguely similar though. Link should take you to 8:13 ish in the video, when Erik follows Manny into the corner and Alan Massengale says "...now he is on the attack using the left hand"

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  2. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Bronsonville Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Do you mean that 'inverted uppercut' he hits Pac with on the ropes? That's what my dad calls it, and he's taught it to quite a few people.

Miguel Canto used to do it. Joe Brown, too. It's not a special move. What's special is pulling it off how Morales does it.

Clinton likes this.
  3. Mario040481

Mar 27, 2019
    yeah, that is pretty much what I meant and what i was asking. Like I said, I highly doubted it wasn't something many others do, I think it just so also happens to be the other thing you mentioned, it is how he does it. It is such an exaggerated movement you cannot help but notice it when he would do it. Thank you for the answer, man! Been wondering that for a bit

4. mark ant

mark ant Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I don`t get it, all he did was throw a few jabs the feint withe right to distact, then followed with a left, do you it`s a rare combo to use?

5. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    He means that slightly odd uppercut he throws. It's like a mixture between a jab and an uppercut, splitting the guard. You could just call it a 'long uppercut' as well. I always think of a fencer when I throw it.

As long as it works, it works.

George Crowcroft and Clinton like this.
  6. Mario040481

Mar 27, 2019
    It is more the giant exaggeration that baits the opponent to raise his guard, then Erik usually "stalls" for a beat and the gloves come down a bit or are opened/spread a bit by the opponent who was expecting a shot that didn't come, and maybe they are trying to get an idea of where he/his hands are at, and when they do that, they are hit by the follow up off beat shot that they seemingly don't expect or think should be coming. when it works that is.

roughdiamond likes this.
  7. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Well Boxing is all about rhythm and operates on 'beats' and timing, analogy - a music piece. What Morales is doing is performing certain moves to create 'half beats' and disorient his opponent. Great fighters will do this in their own ways, and its one of the things which makes Boxing such a special art.

Pat M and greynotsoold like this.
  8. Mario040481

Mar 27, 2019
    Very much so. I dunno, I just have always thought it looks pretty neat, and it was frequently successful

roughdiamond likes this.
  9. willcross

willcross Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Looks like something Walcott would do maybe

Fergy likes this.
  10. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    That might very well be the most astute comment ever on a boxing forum.

roughdiamond and Pat M like this.
  11. blackfella96

blackfella96 Active Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Looks similiar to Razor Ruddock's 'Smash' move

12. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    That was a tricky move. Erik Morales was a great technician

13. Tippy

Tippy Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Donald Curry threw that type of left, after a right hand or feint with the weight on the front leg, Burley as well, although alot more flashy often jumping in the air. McLarnin too I believe, although Burley and McLarnins were from a more unorthodox position, with McLarnins being in counter to a jab

Morales had a damn great right uppercut feint to straight/overhand right, beautiful punch.

14. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    You flatter me.

greynotsoold likes this.
  15. Mario040481

Mar 27, 2019
    Thanks for the replies! After rereading my thread title here, it seems that it could be taken as though I was meaning something like "Who else can throw this great shot? no one but Morales, everyone else sucks donkey dong..." I always try and remind myself to be much more specific in what I write on the various forums but that requires a bit of forethought and memory and...and....wait, I can't remember what...

roughdiamond likes this.