Who else thinks a prime RJJ beats the whole LHW division

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by The Ripper, May 19, 2017.

1. Liquid Fire

Liquid Fire Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Oct 29, 2016
    Serge I am liking the stuffing out of you on RJJ threads. Like me back, like me like me lol

Serge likes this.
  2. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    OK cool. I like likes, you like likes. Everyone likes a like. Likey likey.

Liquid Fire likes this.
  3. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    A few observations from me and my Asperger's:

You're a hater, plain and simple.

You have zero interest in objectively debating his career.

You constantly make claims that you CANNOT back up.

You say he crumbled when he was taken out of his comfort zone. But you ignore the fact that he was 35 plus at that point, having had more than 50 fights, across 5 weight classes, that included going to HW and back.

I've never heard about the sparring you speak of. We'd need to have more information. Because in the late 80's-early 90's, Roy sparred: Ray Leonard, John Scully, Lindell Holmes, Lou Del Valle and Reggie Johnson. And apparently, he and Reggie went at it hard.

Regarding Roy Snr's comments about punching too hard, it was Julian Jackson who claimed that he'd said it regarding a potential fight against him.

You say Roy hid a brittle chin all his career, but then you won't give him credit for going 51 fights across 5 weight classes, before getting it cracked.

He wasn't a risk averse fighter, and I'm now challengeing you for the FOURTH TIME, to give me a list of all of the guys who he ducked, who were available to him.

You say it would have been a crime to see the likes of Hagler crack Roy's chin, yet who says he'd have had the opportunity? Roy's speed, power and size, would have caused Marvin huge trouble.

The only thing that I'll agree on, is that Roy did mess Michael Nunn around a lot. He should either have fought him straight away, or dropped the belt straight away. But I don't think he ducked him out of a fear of losing to him, not considering that he tried to fight Liles the previous year, and he went on to fight Tarver 3 times afterwards. At LHW, Nunn was no better than what those guys were. So it would have been illogical to fear Nunn, after trying to fight Liles. And we know that he legitimately tried to fight Liles, because both HBO and Liles' trainer, have confirmed it.

Last edited: May 25, 2017