Who had more handspeed at 147? Manny or Ray Leonard?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jan 12, 2019.

1. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    I'd like to see those stats if you could post them.

Jones from 1993-2003 must've come super close to Floyd (he also fought more regularly than Floyd). He was super accurate and ridiculously hard to hit during that period. Only Montell Griffin in the first fight hit him with any consistency and caused him to be short and tentative with his punching (great tactics by Eddie Futch and executed by Griffin there) during that period. Other than that he had his own way and his accuracy, defense and superiority over his opposition was some of the most stark in my time watching boxing, Floyd included.

2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Roy didn`t look good v Harding.

3. mark ant

May 4, 2017
  4. young griffo

May 18, 2006
    Hmmm...

I'd love to see the breakdown of this and if they even looked at every fighter or just a select few when coming up with this. All I know is Jones was the first in compubox history to go an entire round without a punch being landed on him, Hopkins and Toney landed at ridiculously poor percentages on him and not many others did any better during that period. Harding was awkward but did squat offensively himself and was well beaten. Maybe they factored in his post prime efforts which is the only reason he'd suffer in this regard. But they're there just as his prime efforts are too.

Maybe Floyd is the best but my memory says Jones in his prime was more dominant than Floyd.

Jackstraw likes this.
  5. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Agree here. You can throw in the Cotto and Margarito fight as well. I too give it to SRL, but as far as pure offensive machine, I lean towards Pac

6. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Being southpaw helped Pacman.

7. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    It's just you

JohnThomas1 and Smokin Bert like this.
  8. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    That stat is mainly because of of the competition he faced at welter. When most of the "very good" fighters he faced were well over the hill, some like (Delohoya,Mosley,Judah,Pac) were going deep in the valley. Its pretty easy to land on past prime fighters, and never were's.

Jackstraw likes this.
  9. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    I don`t think Roy`s opposition was any better than Floyd`s.

10. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Roy didn`t land much on Toney and Hopkins either, the Hopkins fight was a cagey, boring affair.

11. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    No it isn't as someone just agreed with me so up yours.....

12. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    It’s not often I find myself agreeing with you but the Jones Jr vs Hopkins fight was dreadfully inactive. Both guys were still a bit green with Jones being closer to hitting his prime but still not there yet himself. Jones clearly won as Hopkins didn’t really get into the fight until 10-12 and some of that was due to Jones not giving him opportunity to do so. Both guys were hesitant/reluctant to let their gloves fly, and you could see the cautious respect they had for each other in the ring, even if they didn’t display respect outside of it. I do think he did slightly more in the Toney fight, but skill and style dictated that none of them might be as active as they would be against lesser competition

13. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Ray easily.. This fight on Sat. with Broner. Pacman is just too old to be fighting. 40 years old and 147. You can fight at heavyweight at 40, what does it matter but at 147 it is unheard of. People have to realize how different fighting at 147 is to heavyweight. The higher the weight the older guys can fight. At heavyweight 40 is not that bad. all the guys there are slower and it is a slower pace. At 147 it is rare to fight at 40, and Broner is 29... To me how can Broner lose if he is any good at all. He should win. If he does not win he was no good at all. He is 29 to 40.. That is just too much difference. I am not sure why Manny wanted this fight. I will guess Manny will win a decision just on his experience and overall career, but I would not be shocked if he gets upset..

14. Bronze Tiger

Bronze Tiger Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Roy Jones would knock guys out with his counters. And here’s the thing about Floyd . Whenever he fought some one who was as fast as he was he had to change his whole style around into an educated pressure fighter. It’s great that he could that ..but it also shows that he could not sit back and counter every one. He tried to do this against Zab Judah and 5 rounds he said let me try something else. He tried against Shane Mosley and switched after Round one. Roy Jones and Salvador Sanchez never switched it up for anyone. They were better in this department than Floyd

Jackstraw and young griffo like this.
  15. young griffo

May 18, 2006
    Hopkins 1 was a deadly boring fight but Roy pretty clearly outlanded Hopkins and his punch % was better than Hopkins paltry 23%. The fight was an exercise in mutual respect and wariness I'll agree.

Jones landed heaps on Toney, nearly double the amount of shots according to compubox. He completely negated the shoulder roll by popping Toney with lightning fast lead left hooks that Toney struggled with and virtually every time Toney got Roy to the ropes and tried to open up he'd be beaten to the punch with ludicrously fast counters and Roy would be gone. Roy completely dominated Toney and looked brilliant in doing so.

ETM likes this.