Who had more skill? Joe Louis or Wlad Klitschko?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Jan 14, 2019.

Who had more skill? Joe Louis or Wlad Klitschko?

1. Joe Louis

54 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Wlad Klitschko

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. About even

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    He was a throwback grappler. We should be celebrating that.

2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    If only...

3. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    With his chin? He would have gotten knocked out

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  4. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Need I remind the audience that Louis was put on ***** street by a featherfisted light heavy?

Pat M likes this.
  5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I get a bit weary of hearing Billy Conn described as a "featherfisted light heavy" to be honest.

He was the only person apart from Louis himself to ever stop Bob Pastor, who beat a whole slew of heavy hitters!

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  6. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    If Wlad was so much stronger than all of his competition and because of this was able to control that opposition at close range in this manner, why are we not to celebrate him? This is boxing. This is part of boxing. Celebrate.

7. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Yeah, I celebrate him, I absolutely loved his career, I loved him as a fighter, he's great.

But in answer to the question as to which fighter was greater out of he and Joe Louis it is necessary to point out the very limited in-fighting ability he displayed during his career. And to point out that it makes this comparison clear.

Man_Machine, JC40 and JohnThomas1 like this.
  8. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
  9. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    And like the lonely, war weary sailor to the Siren's call, a post is made about Waldo and the Unbiased Voice of Reason chimes in...

10. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    15 KO's in 76 fights, fighting mostly lighheavies and middles. How would you rate him?

11. JC40

JC40 Boxing fan since 1972 banned Full Member

Jul 12, 2008
    P4P I am going with the Bomber.

He was a much better combination puncher than Wladimir as started previously, he didn’t rely on his height and reach to nearly as big a degree as Wlad did and he wasn’t prone to panicking like Wlad was when clipped.

He was a much better fighter at mid range than Waldo and unlike Wlad he could throw combinations while moving backwards.

Joe also had way better stamina than Wladimir.

I would rate Wlad as having a better jab all round P4P than Joe (he relied on it more than Louis did ), as being a more cerebral fighter than Louis and being a really good clincher in the Jack Johnson, Muhammad Ali, Larry Holmes tradition. Something Louis wasn’t.

Being a smart arse I had to comment that unlike Wladimir, Louis didn’t have a meaner older brother to sort out fighters who stopped him previously. I imagine Vitali would have faced Schmeling in the rematch not Wlad if Wladimir had been in Louis’ shoes.

Being serious for a sec both fighters were absolute credits to the sport of boxing and along with Muhammad Ali, Larry Homes and Lennox Lewis the historic stand outs as far as dominating the heavyweight division for a long period.

Cheers All.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  12. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Expecting a 6-1, 200 pound fighter to exhibit the same skills as a 6-6, 245 pounder is a bit ridiculous. They are playing different games. Do you want to see Wlad bob and weave? How about fight out of a crouch? His job is to impose his giantness on his opponent. And to be honest, there were times, pre-prime, that he wasn't that good or consistent at it. But once he found his formula, he was remarkably effective and consistent. For a full decade he barely lost a round. Am I a huge fan of watching that style? Not really. But I applaud effectiveness.

Louis is my favorite heavy of all-time (along with Tyson). Arguing that someone was more skilled than Louis is a bit of a fool's errand. But framing the argument in a way that the expectations are that they both show the same approach and techniques seems to be missing the larger point.

Glass City Cobra, JC40 and surfinghb like this.
  13. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Great post

14. JC40

JC40 Boxing fan since 1972 banned Full Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Gday Seamus, very fair points mate and I also should have given Wladimir credit for being harder to hit than Louis. I just actually read the opening post in the thread and P4P wasn’t even mentioned on some of my points are actually irrelevant.

From a purely offensive perspective I have to go with Louis as he had a better arsenal with more weapons at his disposal than Wladimir. Louis was also a great body puncher. Wlad did have a great hook off the jab though, a rarity in the heavyweight division,

From a defensive and strategic perspective Wlad is far superior. Waldo was barely hit in his entire career ( luckily for him, not that it was luck though ) unlike Louis who was always a sucker for a right hand over his low left, especially when retracting his jab.

Cheers.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  15. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    :D

A paragon of fair-mindedness...the very epitome of objectivity, is our dino when holding forth on the topic of the big K-brothers.

Seamus likes this.