Who Had The Best Arsenal of Heavyweight ATG's

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bummy Davis, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    after watching Joe Louis fights I would have to say Joe Louis had by far the best arsenal of various power punches,great jab, he had a short left hook a long left hook, a left to the body and a right to the body ,a powerfull short right hand,crisp and percise, a great right and left uppercut and fast hands, the fastest of the power punchers, Marciano had 2 good hands and a few real weird punches that were delivered to unorthdox places,elbows,heart,neck,arms.ears. Lennox Lewis had a great right and solid jab, good hook, thrown in buches affective, Dempsey had a great hook and a great right,Dempsey also liked to punch the heart,chest,kidneys,neck,ears... Ali had good hand speed, decent right and hook but lacked real power, Foreman had power in both hands but his shots were wide and telegraphed,George had a good Jab....I still have to say Louis was head and shoulders above the pack, Thoughts

2. C. M. Clay II

C. M. Clay II Manassah's finest! Full Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Any reason why you deliberately left out Tyson?

3. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006
    It has to be Joe Louis. No explanation needful...

4. C. M. Clay II

C. M. Clay II Manassah's finest! Full Member

Sep 23, 2006
    I would say either Tyson or Louis. I'll go with Tyson.:good

5. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Louis and Tyson are ahead of everyone else if seen by a small margin.

I'd suggest that Louis edges it, I think his punches were technically a bit better, shorter - although you could argue that Tyson is more complete in terms of available punches moulded into combinations.

6. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    :good

Agreed, Louis is just a step above the rest.

Tyson and Lewis also had a complete arsenal although Lewis neglected the left hook a bit during some parts of his career, and Tyson didn't have a fight-dictating jab like Louis and Lewis did. Couldn't really help it, he was really too short for that. Marciano for the same reason lacked a good jab, but made up for it with unorthodox punches as you said, all types of punches, hooks, uppercuts, half hook half uppercuts, straight right hands..

7. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Joe Louis - I would put his arsenal above Tyson

8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    1. Louis
    2. Dempsey
    3. Langford
    4. Tyson

5. The rest

9. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Dont forget Jess Willard. He had a fine jab. Movement for a guy his size, and power.

10. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Some delusional fools think that 185 lb Jack Dempsey could beat him!

Any sensible person knows that Willard would just keep Dempsey on the end of that jab all night and Dempsey would just sit there hoping that Willard would stop jabing him.

If you are bigger than sombody and know how to jab you have them beaten.

11. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    It's very difficult to go against Louis. He masterfully jabbed his way to decision wins against Farr, in Godoy I, shut out Natie Brown over ten rounds handily in their first meeting, and scored a quintet of fine points verdicts over Brion, Agramonte and Bivins, sanwiched in between the losses to Charles and Marciano. Tyson had a pretty fair jab, but I can't buy him using it to outscore an HOF caliber opponent like Bivins, certainly not at the advanced age Louis was.

Like janitor, I also agree with Dempsey at number two.

12. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    To say those things about Jess indicates to me that you must have viewed the complete movie footage of his performances against Moran and Johnson in Havana. It also suggests to me that you did a frame by frame analysis of how he was able to outmaneuver Moran and beat him repeatedly to the punch. (A since deceased friend, who was a former boxer and boxing buff, played those movies on a projector at a gathering when I was a kid, stopping and starting them, pointing out fine details, and replaying the footage in slow motion. It all took a long time to go through, but we were riveted. I don't remember exactly when it was, but it couldn't have been too terribly long after the Willard/Johnson footage had been rediscovered. He worked for a large newspaper, which gave him ready access to all kinds of interesting goodies.)

13. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    he was worthy just did not think of him but he was not close to Joe in refined punching

14. box03

box03 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I would say Tyson because he had blazing speed when he threw combinations, he had a good jab, great left hook, and a damn hard uppercut. I do believe Joe Louis is close second though.

15. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Louis, Tyson, and Dempsey are obviously mentioned, but Lennox Lewis seems to be very overlooked. He was such a huge guy, but he was so athletic and so coordinated. He had a great left jab when he threw it with conviction, a straight right hand, a powerful overhand right, a good left hook, and a devestating uppercut from both sides. Not to mention that, for a big guy, he had very good handspeed. A great offensive arsenal...