Who Had The Best Arsenal of Heavyweight ATG's

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bummy Davis, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Street Lethal

Street Lethal Active Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Watch Foreman's arsenal at work in the destructions of Frazier and especially Norton. Foreman had a ram-rod jab, a killer straight right, uppercuts from either hand, a devastating left hook - the whole compliment of offensive weapondry. Tyson also had a great arsenal. His jab was underused but it when he used it he was trouble. Liston also had a complete arsenal, even more so than Tyson.

2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Louis and Tyson leap forward but Lennox Lewis deserves some mention too. A bit slow, but Sonny Liston had a fair bag too.

3. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006
    In order:

1. Louis
    2. Tyson
    3. Lewis
    4. Liston
    5. Dempsey

4. rendog67

rendog67 The firestarter Full Member

Apr 27, 2006
    1 joe louis
    2 lewis

5. rydersonthestorm

rydersonthestorm Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I think lewis had the best arsenal for a fighter of his size but overall i would have to go with joe louis as the best.

6. Strangely Brown

Strangely Brown Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Louis and Tyson are hard to seperate, was Louis' jab that great? Lewis also had a pretty formidable armoury, but not quite on the level of these two.

7. DamonD

DamonD Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 19, 2004
    I've always maintained that Joe Louis was the greatest offensive machine in heavyweight history.

In terms of footwork, handspeed, chin, defence et al I can think of others above him, but as an overall package I don't think anyone is better than Louis at throwing fists. Fast, fluid, heavy combinations. It's his greatest asset.

8. Ted Spoon

Ted Spoon Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    Joe Louis was the most punishing; he made you pay in a big way for your mistakes. Jack Dempsey was the most vicious; he'd punch you hard, fast and everywhere.

These two where the best offensive Heavyweights - better at different aspects.

9. guilalah

guilalah Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2004
    I'd go with Louis.

If a guy let Tyson get close and tried to back away from him, Tyson would do him quick as anyone. That sort of thing would put a boxer into range for all sorts of punches that Tyson would bring in from the visual peripheries. I think, though, that some boxers were better straight punchers than was Tyson.

10. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I think Louis was pretty shaky against Godoy the first time,after that fight,Blackburn drilled him incessantly ,with crouching sparring partners,getting him to throw uppercuts with both hands.If Louis had a weakness it was that he didnt adapt quickly to the unorthodox first time around ,but watchout the second time!As to the original question Id go for Louis as being the most "complete heavyweight " regarding arsenal still think Dempsey would have taken him out early though!

11. Quick Cash

Quick Cash Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 12, 2007
  12. Quick Cash

Quick Cash Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Evander Holyfield had the style to beat the most varied array of heavyweights in history, but lacked the physique natural to a true heavyweight. Next to Louis, he had the most complete arsenal (and I use this word loosely) but was often caught firing blanks. He also didn't discern well when best to use the heavy artillery and when to merely stick and move.

13. Sonny's jab

Sonny's jab Guest

Rocky Marciano had the best arsenal.

Most of his punches weren't even in the book. Weaponry that hadn't been seen before, and hasn't been seen since.

14. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Check out Joe's jab against Max Baer and Farr. Don't overlook the facial damage he was able to inflict on many opponents. The most impressive display of jabbing I saw Tyson exhibit was in the later rounds against Tucker, but Louis really knew how to put everything into his, and Joe's victims continually praised Louis for the impact of his jab.

15. Maxmomer

Maxmomer Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 28, 2007
    I agree with Janitor's list.