who had the best....

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by pinoy2k7, Jan 6, 2008.

1. pinoy2k7

pinoy2k7 Member Full Member

Apr 7, 2007
    right land in boxing today and in history..watcha think boxing heads?? i got to say RJJ...in his prime da right hand lead was devestating??in reverse manny pacqauio has a devestating left lead..

2. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Ali had a pretty good right lead.... ask George Foreman.

Although now forgotten, Max Schmelling's right lead did a job on Joe Louis' left side of his face ( "I see's something").

3. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
  4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Day in day out i like Hearns. I like Louis at heavyweight. Going back Langford, Archie Moore, Jimmy Wilde and Sandy Saddler spring forth. More recently Danny Lopez, Gomez, Mike Spinks at 175 and Arguello. There are some incredible right hands to start the show.

5. pinoy2k7

Apr 7, 2007
    but wit mike spinks..he had a great right hand the spink jinx..but was more thrown after he landed a left..i think..but he did overall have a great right hand..yeah Ali had a hell of a right hand lead..george foreman knows very well.

6. good right hand

good right hand Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2004
    great posts, i think the best right hand in boxing today is raphael marquez

i think the best right hand of all time is probably thomas hearns or rocky marciano

hearns i think had more pop, marcianos relentless attack made his arguably equal right hand dangerous for all 15rounds

honorable mentions of the greatest cross/overhand of all time i would like to add,

albert wright
    alexis arguello
    lennox lewis
    erik morales

and i would like add vince phillips as for a fighter whos body positioning, arm always semi cocked for the right hand was such a different fighter in that overly relied on his right hand in comparison to tradition boxing teaching (i think its something like 40% cross hand punches and 60% lead hand punches)
    and i would have guess it was a point to his style being completely telegraphed, but i he was a heck of a fighter when he was at his best with his wins over pendelton, ward and hall of famer kostya tszyu which was a stoppage by a solvo right hands.

7. pinoy2k7

Apr 7, 2007
    u guys think RJJ had an all time right hand...we all know about his left hooks

8. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Jones has got a good right hand but i think it's more the sum of parts. The guys i mentioned made their right hands a factor and danger in almost every fight they had. Their right hand utilisation and consistency over a full career overshadows Jones.

9. pinoy2k7

Apr 7, 2007
    yeah no doubt...alexis arguello had one of the greatest..but you're forgetting kostya tszyu....he had a granite right hand...thats all he did..he picked you apart with straight right hands...

10. MagnificentMatt

MagnificentMatt Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 11, 2006
  11. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Thomas Hearns
    Joe Louis
    Kostya Tszyu
    Lennox Lewis
    Michael Spinks
    Alexis Arguello

All come to mind

12. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Hearns' right hand was just sick. That right hand that knocked Duran down and out would've leveled many greats.

Honorable mention to Ingemar Johansson.

13. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Aesthetically speaking,for correctness and accuracy ,Id go with Louis,Arguello was good ,Rosario,had some thunder,Hearns,pure power ,Shavers,Marciano,Baer.

14. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    The right lead Arguello got Rooney with was a great one. Ali had a pretty good one. Marciano and Hearns also good ones.

15. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Tommy!
    That first right hand that Julian Jackson landed on Norris was sick.